HBO Director, Media Technology
HBO is seeking a Director, Media Technology in the Media Technology & Information Services (MTIS) group to lead our testing of emerging technologies several years out from implementation. Based in the NY area, this position would be the liaison with the Technology Development & Standards group identifying new technology solutions and then work with MTIS Operations, Engineering, IT and Digital Production Services management teams in NYC and Hauppauge to implement proof of concept solutions to validate, estimate project costs and define best practices for future implementation solutions into our content supply chain. This role will influence, collaborate and partner with key technology and business stakeholders across Enterprise Information Services, Digital Products and Business Development.
The Director Media Technology will report to the Senior Vice President, Media Technology & Information Services.
- Evaluate new technologies and lead the development of POC’s for software and hardware solutions in the areas of IP, file, and cloud based encoding, transcoding, storage/archive, playout and distribution.
- Provide an influential role within the MTIS group to proactively assess the potential benefits of new and emerging technologies in order to ensure value is being added consistently and in alignment with our Technology goals.
- In partnership with the Technology Development & Standards group and MTIS leadership team, develop and maintain relationships with major product and service vendors to expand product features and roadmaps.
- Identify opportunities and risks for delivering innovative solutions to meet business goals. Create high level system designs, documentation and timelines to hand off to engineering and operations teams to ensure the POC solution is implemented as expected as they bring POC solutions online.
- In collaboration with the Technology Development & Standards group, keep MTIS leadership team and others in the Technology organization informed regarding emerging technologies as well as the active POC’s.
- Communicate “easy to understand information” regarding emerging technology to front line operations and engineering staff. Explain design concepts to implementation engineers and control systems to operations staff ensuring their understanding of the evolution of technology.
- Work closely with Engineering and IT teams to plan long term infrastructure requirements and growth including rack space, routing, networking, storage/archive and security.
- Participate within HBO’s Next Generation team to research, test and implement broader initiatives (e.g. HDR, 4K, Object based Audio, VR, etc.) within Technology. Work with other key technology leaders to develop target architectures and standards.
- Keep abreast of trends, business and technical developments in the marketplace. Participation and/or representation within various industry standards organizations in conjunction with the Technology Development & Standards team.
- 10+ years of experience in the emerging technology and/or media space working with traditional broadcast engineering as well as enterprise application technologies in a large-scale complex multi-platform environment.
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience defining and communicating solution architectures with technical and business leaders translating business requirements into technology solutions. Experience in an enterprise architecture role a plus.
- Strong understanding of OTT, cable and satellite television distribution systems, digital video compression and transcoding technologies, Internet distribution technologies and systems broadband networking and transmission technologies such as IP, MPEG2TS, QAM, OTT based media player technologies, home networking technologies and their evolution and adoption of content security methods such as DRM, Conditional Access, and various anti-piracy techniques.
- Comprehensive experience in the design and delivery of complex IT projects and services in a complex multi-platform environment. Experience with SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and other cloud technologies is highly desired.
- Ability to design scalable,high reliability systems that exceed 99.999% up time.
- Exceptional influencing and communications skills are required.
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Back to top