HBO Copywriter (Freelance)
HBO Digital & Social Media is looking for a freelance copywriter to help drive email and digital marketing efforts for the network’s streaming services, HBO NOW and HBO GO.
The successful candidate will be an experienced copywriter who understands that the best copy is natural-sounding, clear and direct. An ability to write with humor when needed is a must, as is a strong knowledge of pop culture, especially television and film. The person in this role will be expected to contribute ideas, write within style guidelines, and work collegially with a matrixed team.
You would be good for this role if: You understand that sometimes short is good. You understand that writing can be fun without forcing it. That writing for digital adapters doesn’t just mean throwing a hashtag in front of everything. You can take feedback and incorporate it without making your copy tortured. And you’re detail-oriented—someone who thinks of issues before anyone does, follows up, and makes deadlines.
- Copywriting a number of email newsletters each week for subscribers, potential subscribers, and users at various stages of the customer journey
- Participation in strategy meetings to match copy approaches with marketing goals
- Contributions to other digital projects, including lading pages and social media
- Coordinating updates and revisions and trafficking copy through the publishing process
- 2-3 years copywriting experience, which can include social media, with samples of your work, It doesn’t have to be agency or media work (although it wouldn’t hurt), but something that demonstrates that you can talk to a consumer in a clear and natural way
- Enthusiasm for entertainment
- BA or equivalent, ideally in writing, English, journalism, or marketing
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top