HBO 2017 LA Summer Intern - Participations & Residuals
The summer intern will gain exposure to various aspects of the Participations and Residuals department through various tasks and assignments. This is a great opportunity to learn who shares in the profits of a program, how their agreement is structured as well as how specific deal points could drastically change the amount payable. The intern will also get a sense of revenue streams, production costs, and expenses incurred throughout distribution.
- Read and abstract various documentary agreements containing contingent compensation clauses
- Assist with overall title inventory project including, researching air dates, participation and residual obligations, documenting findings in master excel sheet, making files, running data queries of revenue and expenses to determine priority of reporting
- Assist with merchandising revenue research, which is necessary to render statements to actors/actresses
- Review less complex participation statements prepared by other team members to validate contractual and financial accuracy
- Opportunity for intern to learn how to prepare statements themselves and to recalculate the participation statements through various scenarios
- Gain basic understanding of residual obligations and guild rules by reading basic agreements and preforming sample residual calculations
- Assist the audit group with ad-hoc projects based on requests sent by auditors
- Limited exposure to the cash forecasting and modeling process.
- Prefer an accounting or finance major, but may also consider candidate studying law
- Strong analytical skills and a desire to learn about contractual obligations in entertainment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
The summer program runs for 10 weeks from June to August. Eligible students must be rising juniors or seniors enrolled in a degree granting university or college. A minimum 3.0 GPA. Able to work in Los Angeles and secure housing accommodations (HBO will not cover the cost of housing). Passionate about Film, TV, Media & Entertainment. Prior internship experience a plus. All internship positions are paid.
Please keep in mind the application process is very competitive. Should there be an interest in your candidacy, an HR representative will contact you.
Application deadline is February 1, 2017
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top