Teaching Fellow, Promise Academy
- New York, NY
Harlem Children’s Zone is currently hiring Promise Academy staff for the 2020-21 school year.
If you are a teacher, teaching assistant or teaching fellow dedicated to making a difference in children’s lives, Promise Academy is right for you. HCZ educators have a unique opportunity to foster the growth of children from kindergarten to their walk across the graduation stage. Our children need you now more than ever.
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
We are seeking a Teaching Fellow (Math or ELA). The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission and core values of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with Lead Teacher on lesson planning and delivery of instruction
- Assist students individually and in small groups to help them reinforce and master learning concepts
- Monitor student engagement during lessons and apply refocusing strategies as needed
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
- Opportunity to work Saturdays during test prep season – additional compensation is provided
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Working towards a Master’s degree and New York State certification required
- Open to feedback
- Exercises perseverance and grit
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer highly competitive salaries with generous performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.
Back to top