HCZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
We are seeking Special Education Teachers for our Elementary, Middle School, or High School. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission and core values of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students-from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals-is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
To support our teachers, we provide them with bi-weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals-ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers-all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As a teacher at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure they reach their full potential.
Our team has been comprehensively reviewing best practices from local, national, and international school systems and following government guidelines to ensure we are taking all possible safety measures related to the pandemic. Our safety protocols have been enhanced with the advice and assistance of experts in the areas of public health, epidemiology, air quality control, space design and layout, and building capacity. Our organization continues to prioritize the safety of all students and staff as we navigate these unprecedented times.
Special Education Teacher Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review IEP related documents to develop appropriate goals and objectives for each student
- Collaborate with general education teachers regarding the educational, social, emotional and physical needs of each student
- Plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each student
- Prepare instructional materials and lesson plans according to Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- Review IEPs with parents, school administration and general education teachers
- Monitor, evaluate and document each student's progress utilizing appropriate measurements and assessment devices
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Follow the school's policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline, and refuse to tolerate classroom disruptions
- Meet designated deadlines for completing Teacher Reports, IEPs, parent phone calls and other time sensitive tasks
- Develop and use a variety of assessments (e.g., exams, written work, and public performances) that frequently measure student progress toward the school's content and skill standards
- Develop clear evaluation criteria and distribute to students prior to assignments
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
- Opportunity to work Saturdays during test prep season - additional compensation provided
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor's degree with at least 2 years teaching experience is required
- 2 - 5 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- New York State certification in special education grades 1-6 or 7-12 required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
The salary range for incoming teachers is $67,000 to $90,000. Incoming teacher salaries are determined based on their number of years of experience as a lead teacher, level of education (bachelor's, or master's degree), and certification. We offer a $6,000 signing bonus (after 60 days of employment) and highly competitive salaries with generous performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. For Lead Teacher positions, we also offer eligibility for up to $30K in student loan forgiveness after 12 months of employment. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com . No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.