HCZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
The Harlem Peacemaker Programs partners with NYCDOE public schools to provide additional support to elementary and middle school students. The peacemaker programs and schools lead a joint effort in sharing resources and providing leadership to students and their families to ensure they are equipped with the necessary tools to access a productive and bright future. The Harlem Peacemaker Programs offers a school success program during the school day and afterschool programs in the evening as well as summer programming.
We are seeking full-time Student Advocates to monitor the progress of each student assigned to their caseload through regular contact and collaboration with the student, his/her parents, school staff, and all other stakeholders. The Student Advocate will develop individualized action plans to help students achieve academic, social and personal success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote academic, social, and personal success for 25-30 students
- Schedule school visits, meet with guidance counselors and teachers to discuss student academic progress
- Distribute and review bi-weekly progress reports
- Schedule weekly advisement/counseling sessions with students
- Develop curriculum and write lesson plans for career and college prep workshops and seminars
- Maintain student files and draft case notes to document student progress
- Maintain and develop parent involvement for all students
- Support Harlem Children's Zone agency-wide programs and events
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- A commitment to the mission and programs of HCZ
- Bachelor's degree with at least 1 year experience working in youth development
- Must have knowledge of the New York City school system
- Ability to effectively engage students
- Patient, motivated, well organized, with exceptional communication skills
- Dedicated to providing positive outcomes for children and families residing in Harlem
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.