HCZ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination prior to commencement of employment.
The Center for Higher Education and Career Support (CHECS) provides year-round academic, administrative and emotional support as well as financial and career preparation to participants of HCZ's Promise Academy high schools and afterschool programs. Our mission is to ensure that our participants are provided the resources and guidance needed to be successful in college and beyond. The main components of the CHECS include: student outreach, academic support and guidance, financial aid advisement, college transfer assistance, summer and winter internship opportunities, and community building efforts within our program.
We are seeking a College Counselor to provide individual counseling to college bound students and students currently enrolled in college. The College Counselor serves as a support system to ensure that students graduate from college, explore vocational opportunities, and find their career path. The ideal candidate will have experience either in high school or college counseling and a desire to work closely with students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a caseload of up to 50 plus college students, using the appreciative advising model focusing on college transition/persistence/completion and career readiness (based on the appreciative advising model)
- Create and implement Appreciative Advising Action Plans and goals for each student on caseload
- Maintain frequent and regular contact with students to monitor progress and to troubleshoot academic, financial, and socio-emotional issues
- Assist students with class selection and registration, financial aid renewal and verification, academic appeals, and college transfer/re-enrollment process
- Assist students with summer and winter career opportunities/programs/internships
- Partner with HCZ Social Services team and external parties to assist students struggling with socio-emotional issues
- Collaborate with HCZ Career Services high school program to ensure students are engaging and gaining career and college awareness and exposures
- Provide support to HCZ and Promise Academy high school sites with college matching, financial aid, application process, and overall transition from high school to CHECS
- Collect, record, and maintain student data and information on an ongoing basis
- Conduct college campus visits for freshman students, transfer students, and high need students
- Establish and maintain relationships with campus liaisons through ongoing communication and campus visits
- Serve as an advocate for students in all campus offices including: The Financial Aid Office, Admissions Office, and Academic Support Center
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Counseling, or related social services field required; Master's degree preferred in Higher Education, Counseling, or Social Services related field
- At least two-three years of experience working with college students or young adults in an academic or career service counseling capacity
- Knowledge of higher education, financial aid, and postsecondary education
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to complete tasks accurately and in a timely manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook
- Proactive problem solver that demonstrates initiative and the ability to work individual and in a team setting when necessary
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of the program including evening, and some weekends
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.