Senior DevOps Engineer
Handy is changing the way the world buys services by connecting customers with vetted, independent, local service professionals in a fast, convenient and reliable way - at the tap of a button. Started in 2012 by Oisin Hanrahan & Umang Dua while at Harvard Business School, Handy has since scaled to service 28 cities across 3 countries and 5 service categories (cleaning, handyman, electrical, plumbing, storage), and has processed over 3 million transactions. We have raised over $110M in funding from Fidelity, TPG, Revolution Capital, General Catalyst, and Highland Capital. We are a collaborative team of about 100 people across marketing, ops, customer support, product, data, finance and engineering, and our headquarters is located in the Flatiron District.
About the role
At Handy, we form small, high-impact teams and empower them to iterate rapidly. You'll be joining our Infrastructure team as a Senior DevOps Engineer. Handy is a cloud-native organization and the Infrastructure team follows CI/CD principles for building and maintaining infrastructure. As a Senior DevOps Engineer you will regularly contribute to our production infrastructure, data systems, and the CI/CD pipeline. Senior engineers are the most skillful individual contributors in our teams. You will participate in the creation of intricate Jenkins pipelines, Kubernetes manifests, CloudFormation stacks, and help monitor everything with the aid of sensu and the TICK stack. You will also participate in the development and maintenance of highly-scalable, highly-available architectures, and represent the Infrastructure Team in architectural design and review discussions.
What you will do:
- Be part of a team that supports the business by providing repeatable, reliable, and resilient infrastructure
- Contribute to the architectural and design decisions your team makes and be able to articulate the impact of those decisions
- Contribute to architecture and design reviews, evangelize best engineering practices, postmortems, and participate in Handy Nuts & Bolts sessions
- Influence the team members to do "the right thing"
- Be part of our production first tier on-call rotation
Who you are:
- A skillful systems engineer with at least 3 years of hands-on experience building, automating, and debugging infrastructure in the cloud
- Well-versed in at least one scripting language, preferably Python
- In-depth knowledge of automation, including systems (Chef, Puppet), software deployment automation (Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes), logging and monitoring (Fluentd, ES, Sensu)
- Exhaustive comprehension of Linux internals (process lifecycle, locks, network stack), networking (routing, VPN, SDN), cloud and local storage (S3, RDB), database engines (MySQL, Aurora, Redshift).
- Always eager to understand and solve impactful business problems
- Passion for and ability to work with software engineering teams to understand their needs and build tools or add features to existing tools so software engineering teams can help themselves
- Ability to work with multiple teams and communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical teammates
- Having worked at or founded a growth-stage startup is a plus
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary and equity commensurate with experience and performance
- Full medical, dental, vision package to fit your needs
- Monthly Handy credits
- Flexible vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
- A fun office in the heart of Manhattan, always stocked with coffee, snacks and drinks; catered lunch and dinner, foosball, office events and team outings
- Ground floor opportunity with the team
- The rare opportunity to work with a sharp, motivated team solving some of the most unique challenges and changing the world
See Inside the Office of Handy
Handy is revolutionizing the world of household chores by connecting individuals to top-notch professionals with the click of a button. In under 90 seconds, users can schedule whatever help they need right from the app. Now in Boston, New York, and 24 other cities, customers simply choose their location, service required, and preferred time slot, and Handy does the rest, from sourcing talent to handling background checks.
Back to top