Product Manager Rotational Program
Handy is changing the way the world buys home services by connecting customers with vetted, independent, local service professionals in a fast, convenient and reliable way - at the tap of a button. Started in 2012 by Oisin Hanrahan & Umang Dua while at Harvard Business School, Handy has since scaled to service 200 cities across 3 countries and 6 service categories (cleaning, handyman, electrical, plumbing, smart home, storage), and has processed over 3 million transactions. We have raised over $110M in funding from Fidelity, TPG, Revolution Capital, General Catalyst, and Highland Capital. We are a collaborative team of about 100 people across marketing, ops, customer support, product, data, finance and engineering, and our headquarters is located in the Flatiron District.
About the role
Handy's Product team is responsible for developing and shipping product experiences that deliver on Handy's vision and business objectives, and create value for our users. Some of the product challenges we work on include:
- How to improve booking flow conversion across various channels and devices in order to accelerate new user acquisition?
- How best to personalize the customer experience in order to increase customer retention and lifetime value?
- How to automate resolution of customer support inquiries, while maintaining high satisfaction?
- How to better utilize professional schedules to maximize bookings and earnings?
- How to empower and enable pros to deliver an amazing in-home service experience?
The Product Manager Rotational Program is a 2-year development program with the goal of providing recent graduates an opportunity to become best-in-class, A-grade Product Managers. You'll learn to execute the end-to-end product development process, and complete the program with an understanding of how the different functions of a startup work together to address user needs, achieve business objectives, and scale. The program starts out with a 2-week bootcamp to get you ready for work at Handy. Then participants rotate through at least 4 different product areas over 2 years. Product areas include: growth, consumer experience, professional experience, marketplace, ops efficiency, internal tools, and new services. Participants may optionally spend 1-2 quarters of their 2 years embedded in business functions outside of Product, such as in Marketing, Operations, CX, BI or Finance, in order to learn the business inside and out. At the end of the 2 years, top performers will be offered a Senior Product Manager role at Handy, and for others, we will help place you in excellent Product roles at other startups.
What you'll do
- Rotate through various product areas, lead product initiatives and learn to take products from idea to reality:
- Develop a product vision and roadmap that is aligned with the long-term vision of the company, while delivering immediate impact on targeted business objectives
- Conduct data analysis, market research, and user research to incorporate customer needs into product decisions
- Translate upcoming product roadmap backlog into requirements documents (specs) with clear prioritization among features
- Evangelize the product vision and motivate team-members critical to the product's success
- Work with engineering teams to develop and execute against feature release plans, removing roadblocks to ensure forward progress
- Review wireframes and design mocks, and provide feedback and approval to product designers
- Ensure product is QA'd to standard before release
- Coordinate with marketing, CX, ops, legal, BI and finance to ensure successful product rollout, communications and adoption
- Run weekly initiative meetings, communicating changes in feature requirements and release schedules openly to leadership team, and escalating critical decisions
- Measure and report on product adoption and impact, and use data to recommend feature enhancements
- Optionally spend 3-6 months embedding in other areas of the business (marketing, operations, CX, BI and finance) in order to become better informed about key business functions, objectives, activities and metrics
What we're looking for
- Talented, driven, and curious students in top-tier undergraduate programs with a major in: economics, computer science, engineering, physics or other highly analytical field, graduating in 2018 (candidates 1-2 years out of school are also encouraged to apply)
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both oral and written
- Creative problem solver with the ability to identify real obstacles and viable solutions
- Willingness to get hands dirty and do whatever it takes to ensure success
- Some technical experience a plus; you must understand the technical implications of the product decisions you make
- Strong analytical skills; you've built models in Excel or know a querying language
- An attention to detail and good product intuition
- A passion for marketplaces, the sharing economy, and/or the on-demand services space
- Willingness to adapt to a fast-paced work environment; hack, test and learn mentality; team player
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary and equity commensurate with experience and performance
- Full medical, dental, vision package to fit your needs
- Monthly Handy credits
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
- A fun office in the heart of Manhattan, always stocked with coffee, snacks and drinks; catered lunch and dinner, foosball, office events and team outings
- Ground floor opportunity with the team
- The rare opportunity to work with sharp, motivated teammates solving some of the most unique challenges and changing the world
Now accepting applications for a program start date in late May or early June 2018.
See Inside the Office of Handy
Handy is revolutionizing the world of household chores by connecting individuals to top-notch professionals with the click of a button. In under 90 seconds, users can schedule whatever help they need right from the app. Now in Boston, New York, and 24 other cities, customers simply choose their location, service required, and preferred time slot, and Handy does the rest, from sourcing talent to handling background checks.
Back to top