VP, Supply Chain
Reporting to the SVP, Publishing Operations and Strategy, the VP, Supply Chain will manage HBG’s physical book supply chain to maximize sales, minimize returns, and optimize cost efficiency of first printings and reprints. The VP will have direct oversight of Inventory Planning Team, and will collaborate with internal Marketing and Publicity, Sales, Manufacturing, Fulfillment, and Distribution teams.
- Manage HBG’s physical book supply chain to maximize sales, minimize returns, and optimize cost efficiency of first printings and reprints. Areas of focus include:
- Increasing in-stock positions at retail and wholesale customers
- Reducing excess inventory in the marketplace and the warehouse
- Earlier detection of stock-out risks, faster mitigation
- Working with sales to forecast needs
- Lowering Unit Bound Costs (i.e., more efficient print runs)
- Increasing inventory turns (better warehouse space utilization)
- Creating effective workflows and cross-function teams in support of the above
- Steadily improving sell-throughs across all imprints and refocusing the business on net sales rather than gross sales
- Improving companywide learnings and communication about supply chain efficiency
- Create and maintain KPI scorecards to keep all divisions as well as the business-at-large apprised of its performance, and utilize post-publication analyses and follow up meetings to inform future improvements and decision making
- Work closely with Sales and Key Accounts to maintain an up to date title-level view of marketplace stock levels, track existing inventory and forecast demand, and anticipate/identify-for-solicitation reorders on key titles
- Support Sales Operations in their allocation of inventory
- Work with Publishing and Sales to foresee and adapt to shifts in demand relating to marketing/publicity and promotional campaigns
- Work with Sales Operations and Distribution on production issues, account-specific shipping/logistics issues, smart returns, markdowns-in-place and other returns mitigation programs
- Oversee Inventory Planning to ensure that our first print and reprint decisions effectively balance lower UBC’s against higher obsolete inventory risk. Also manage titles across the print-technology spectrum (offset, ink-jet web, ARP, POD and various retailer alternative inventory programs)
- Work with Manufacturing to ensure that our printer production schedules, component banks, raw material purchases, in-warehouse dates, bindery shipments are tuned to minimize turn times on priority OSD and reprint titles while maintaining an orderly flow of production and mitigate obsolescence risks.
- Oversee Print-On-Demand program
- Oversee Overstock and Remainder programs
- 10+ years of experience in Supply chain management, with a strong preference for Trade Book Business experience
- Ability to assess HBG’s current supply chain processes, identify and prioritize areas of improvement, and draft a project plan that delivers measurable improvements over a one-year period.
- Outstanding ability to communicate and work effectively across organizational and geographic boundaries in very fluid situations
- Strong aptitude in presenting the appropriate data in a well-defined format to the relevant stakeholders to support profitable business decisions.
- Deep understanding of supply chain logistics, economics, tools, techniques and timelines
- Superior organization skills with a strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to balance multiple competing priorities and execute effectively under time pressure
- Proficient in complex data pulls and analysis of large volumes of data in Excel and/or other analytic tools
Back to top