Do you enjoy out thinking software developers? Do you take a special delight in finding where their code doesn’t match with the requested functionality? If so, we would enjoy talking with you about our Testing Analyst position. We are a top three publisher and distribution facility for the book industry, delivering product directly to book stores as well as large book retailers and wholesalers. We have an internal software development staff that is focused on creating world-class systems for inventory management, product picking, and product shipping across a wide range of order and shipment sizes.
We are looking for a top-notch analytic tester who will be involved through all phases of the development process from analysis and design through user testing. We create both new systems as well as system enhancements. The testers do not merely black box test what a system should do, but have knowledge of why it should work the way it is implemented. They will create and execute test plans, create any needed data sets, and investigate the resulting data to verify the system is working as desired. They will also be involved in the creation of technical documentation related to the functionality of these systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- System testing and user acceptance testing including writing and executing test plans and finding issues and problems in new and existing systems.
- Extract data and create reusable test sets for both their own testing and that of the development team.
- Create queries and format results for testing verification and ad hoc research topics.
- Participate in system design and documentation spanning all aspects of operating a large modern warehouse, including Order Mgt, WMS (Warehouse Mgt System), TMS (Traffic Mgt System), Pick-To-Light (Automated picking), RF (Radio Frequency), Inventory Mgt and Financial systems.
- Interact with developers to review system requirements and testing discrepancies found.
- Write and maintain technical reference documents and user documents for new processes in all areas of the business.
- Conduct user training classes and user acceptance testing for varying group sizes.
- Participate in the production support on-call rotation within the IT department.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: As assigned.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Excellent analytic skills required for the creation of test plans and system documentation based on system requirements and functional and technical specifications. This involves the analysis and clarification of business requirements to support accurate testing and data validation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization.
- Must be able to provide guidance and feedback to peers and associates as well as walk through designs to determine testing needs.
- Excellent organizational skills to work simultaneously on multiple projects.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Testing Methodologies
- SQL skills for extraction of test data and verification of test runs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidates will have at least a Bachelors degree or equivalent experience, and three to five years of relevant professional experience. They must possess a good working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of systems and systems development. They do not need experience in warehousing or distribution systems or practices, but that would be a benefit.
Meet Some of Hachette Book Group's Employees
Jessica works with literary and licensing agents to find projects for Running Press to publish. After a title is acquired, Jessica and its author shepherd the book to completion.
Back to top