Telephone Sales Representative-Boston based
- Boston, MA
The Sales Representative will be responsible for selling Hachette Book Group and Client publisher titles to a national telephone sales territory of independent bookstores and wholesale accounts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Will present and sell new and backlist titles during sales appointments which require preparation and follow-up. Sales appointments will be via phone with limited in-person calls, as needed.
- Manage relationships with established accounts and develop new accounts.
- Advance the profile of HBG and select clients’ lists through store promotions, galley distribution, and enthusiastic selling.
- Keep accounts informed about changes to the list, special offers and publicity, assist accounts with promotions and coop advertising, and other efforts to provide excellent service to booksellers.
- Responsible for achieving individual and company budget goals and increasing territory net sales.
Responsible for sales estimates on specific titles, sales analysis, and sales reporting.
- Generate regular feedback on titles, sales, and promotions.
Will act on behalf of accounts with other internal departments, such as Marketing, Publicity, Customer Financial Services, etc., while maintaining company policies.
- Collaborate with field and phone sales colleagues on projects as needed.
- Will attend meetings live and via web-ex, as needed.
- Manage order processing and operational issues around stock, orders, and shipment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3 years of trade publishing and/or sales experience preferred, but candidate with experience in similar industries will be considered.
- Candidate must have excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and an excellent telephone manner, with a passion for talking about books.
- Must have strong organizational skills, be able to work well in a fast-paced environment and be able to work independently.
- Customer care, professionalism, willingness to see all issues through, and attention to detail are essential.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to participate as a team member in a small department.
- Comfortable with limited car and air travel
- Enthusiasm for books and pre-publication reading a must.
- PC skills using Microsoft Word and Excel required. Familiarity with Edelweiss preferred
- Position is office-based in Hachette’s Boston office.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Back to top