Software Engineer - Cloud - Birmingham, AL
- Birmingham, AL
Are you entrepreneurial, a polyglot programmer and a 12-factor app guru? Do you deploy containerized applications to any cloud providers? Are you interested in helping shape & contributing to our new Cloud products? If so, we would like to meet you!
You will play a significant role in the design and development of micro-services, components, and tools for Guidewire’s next generation, cloud-native data & analytics platform. Guidewire’s data platform is targeted to be best-in-class in enabling our customers with mission-critical insights and decision-making capabilities. You will work in a highly collaborative environment in agile, cross-functional teams.
What you would do
- Design and develop tools and automation to manage life cycle of high availability (HA) distributed services and applications on multiple platforms.
- Design, Develop and implement micro-services, components & tools
- Do test-driven (TDD), unit, and end-to-end testing
- Own scalability, availability and data security for your services
- Deploy containerized applications to the preferred cloud provider (AWS)
- Own Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) for your services
- Own, troubleshoot & resolve code defects
- Mentor other developers in best practices
- Support the operations team with deployment, support and triaging production issues for your code
What you would need to succeed
- Emphasize team wins over individual success
- Strong technical communication skills
- 5+ years relevant work experience
- Excellent software development skills in one or more of the following OOP languages: Java (and/or other JVM-based languages) / Golang / NodeJs
- Prior demonstrable experience Infrastructure as Code and configuration management, using tools like Terraform and Ansible.
- Have developed in more than one language and ready to pivot to any language/framework.
- Understand SOLID/Hexagonal Architecture and other design principles
- Understand REST API / gRPC for data interchange
- Understand microservices architecture patterns pattern like Service Discovery/API Gateway/Domain Driven Design etc.
- Intermediate-level debugging skills in Linux
- Have implemented distributed tracing and monitoring of apps
- Understand IaaS abstractions like Kubernetes / Cloud foundry / OpenShift
- Understand Serverless function and their relevant use
- Should have a sound understanding of repeatable automated services.
- Ability to work in an agile fast paced environment
- BS/MS degree (Computer Science or Math) or equivalent level of demonstrable professional competency.
Nice to Have
- Working knowledge of Kafka, Elasticsearch, Spring Boot, AWS
- Python and/or Bash programming skills
- Advanced debugging skills in Linux
- Startup experience
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. More than 400 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 1000+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our Marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to an inclusive workplace, and believe that a diversity of perspectives, abilities, and cultures is a key to our success. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.
Disability Accommodations and Guidewire’s Appeals Process. Guidewire provides accommodations to the hiring process to create a fair opportunity for candidates with disabilities to contend for open positions. Accommodation requests should be directed to (650) 356-4940 or Accommodations@guidewire.com. If things do not go as hoped, we invite you to use our appeals process. Guidewire promises to independently review any denied accommodation and any decision not to offer you the position. The appeals process is the same in either case. Within five business days of receiving a notice of denial of an accommodation, or receiving a notice of your non-selection for a vacancy, call (650) 356-4940 or e-mail Accommodations@guidewire.com to make an appeal. Guidewire will assign a new decision-maker to review the request and/or hiring decision, who will then notify you in writing of a decision within 10 business days.
Back to top