Senior Software Engineer - Foster City, CA
Guidewire's development team is looking for a smart, proactive, and results-oriented Senior Software Engineer to build elegant solutions for the property & casualty insurance industry's complex business domain and make our industry-leading products even better. The team is looking for an enthusiastic engineer who is passionate about building high-quality software with a great team and improving the customer experience for millions of people who use our products every day.
You will have the opportunity to make an impact and contribute to a complex application suite of products that generate over 500 million dollars of revenue annually, mission-critical to 100+ enterprises serving more than a million users. Our software supports significant data volumes and heavy server load. Our platform includes a cluster-safe persistence layer, inter-application messaging architecture, an MVC Web layer, and a lot more.
Our teams are lean, empowered, and collaborative. You'll work alongside intelligent colleagues who've checked their egos at the door. We've built a strong culture, and we're looking for engineers who can help us maintain it.
Successful software engineers at Guidewire typically have:
- A desire to work collaboratively in an empowered, small, cross-functional team
- Experience working in an agile development environment (e.g. TDD, Agile, pair programming, etc.)
- A passion for code quality demonstrated by thorough testing
- A desire to be hands-on in designing and writing code
- Curiosity and internal motivation to constantly improve
- Excellent communication skills, comfort level to speak their mind and defend ideas based on merit, yet humility and hunger to learn from others
Key qualifications include experience with
- Core Java
- Familiarity with Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, etc
- Object-Oriented Design
- Agile development practices
- Web services (e.g. REST, etc)
- Cloud Services (e.g. AWS)
- Technical design and leadership of features from inception to release
- Mentoring less experienced engineers
- Effective collaboration with different stakeholders while leading features (e.g. Architects, PMs, PgMs)
- Maintaining and promoting a healthy codebase and ensuring high quality of products
A typical candidate has a Computer Science degree or equivalent.
The ideal candidate will share our core values: Collegiality, Integrity, and Rationality.
Collegiality - We value strong teams. We work together as professional equals. We strive to continuously improve our processes and make realistic assumptions to maintain a reasonable work-life balance. We are trusted to manage our own time. We value ideas, not titles. We welcome and consider contrary opinions.
Integrity - We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
Rationality - We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We believe in testing. We never assume that we're building software the "best" way, and constantly seek to improve our processes.
See and hear from our employees at https://careers.guidewire.com/
Senior Software Engineer
Guidewire is a leading provider of core systems that span the insurance lifecycle – underwriting, policy administration, billing, and claims management. Guidewire delivers the software that property and casualty (P/C) insurers need to adapt and succeed in a time of rapid industry change — and to ensure that every customer succeeds in their journey.
Guidewire InsuranceSuite is currently positioned in the Leaders quadrant in the “Magic Quadrant for P&C Core Platforms, North America.”. InsuranceNow is positioned in the Challengers quadrant in the “Magic Quadrant for P&C Core Platforms, North America.”
Guidewire was honored with a Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Award as One of the Best Places to Work in 2018. Guidewire is a mid-sized company, headquartered in Foster City, CA, with offices around the world. For more information, visit www.guidewire.com.
Meet Some of Guidewire's Employees
Product Management Manager
Olga encourages and empowers her team to recognize and interpret customer needs so that their important input can be incorporated into continuous product evolution.
Back to top