Senior Software Development Engineer in Test - Runtime, Foster City, CA
We are hiring mid-level and senior SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test) for the Guidewire Software Runtime development team. You’ll work side by side with other talented engineers in developing automated tests for our high-performance Runtime platform. We value clear, logical thinking, good communication skills, detail orientation, a focus on quality, and the ability to work well in a team.
Guidewire sells enterprise software products and services to insurance companies that offer Property and Casualty insurance. Our products share a core Runtime platform that the Guidewire Runtime team develops. Our customers domestically and internationally require a highly-configurable reliable technology platform. Writing that kind of software for insurance companies worldwide turns out to be surprisingly complex and difficult to get exactly right. Understanding and rising to that challenge can be fun.
Our Runtime platform includes a cluster-safe persistent data layer, advanced performance tools, an inter-application messaging architecture, and a lot more. The Runtime team writes most code in Java, though we use the Gosu language too. The Rumtime team also builds the foundation for higher-level application features, such as geocoding and archiving.
We strongly value test-driven development. Our test framework runs over 100K tests regularly for every branch. We constantly improve and brainstorm how to improve coding and testing processes.
Our software is great, the free snack is okay, and the buildings are decent enough. What’s special, though, is that we’re a team passionately focused on customer success and our long term goals. Talk to people here and you’ll immediately sense their enthusiasm. We write software the way we’ve always wanted to write it. We want smart, motivated people to help build the future for ourselves and our customers. We are proud of what we build and how we work together.
At the heart of Guidewire culture are three principles:
- Collegiality. We work together as professional equals, with a minimum of hierarchy. We strive for good processes and realistic assumptions to keep workload sustainable. We trust people to manage their own time. We seek input without regard for title. We welcome and consider contrary opinions. We value work/life balance.
- Integrity. We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
- Rationality. We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. More than 100K unit tests per branch prove our code succeeds and fails where expected. We constantly improve processes. We use the latest Agile and Lean coding techniques, including work pods, sprints, and scrums.
Seem like a good fit?
If you’re excited by the same things we are, we want to hear from you today! Contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re continuing to grow our Development teams and we are eager to learn more about you.
- Drive software quality assurance lifecycle as part of Agile process and deliver high quality releases on time
- Participate throughout the design and development process, analyzing features to point out weaknesses or inconsistencies
- Work closely with Product Management and development engineers to understand features and establish test strategies, design comprehensive test plans and robust test cases
- Set up test environments, and perform functional, exploratory, and acceptance testing
- Develop, maintain and update automated tests for continuous regression testing
- Identify, diagnose, report, and assist developers in resolving defects and verifying bug fixes
- Build and enhance test framework for various automation purpose
- Experience in creating test plans, test cases, and doing risk analysis prior to product releases
- Experience in developing automated tests and/or frameworks using Python, Java, or an equivalent object-oriented language
- Working knowledge of database concepts and query languages (SQL)
- Working knowledge of XML
- Very self-motivated, flexible, with a strong desire to join a fast paced team and make a big difference
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills
- An appreciation for test-driven development.
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science in Computer Science or equivalent
Preference to Applicants with:
- Strong knowledge and programming skills in Python
- Java programming experiences using J2EE technologies, XML and web services
- Knowledge of test frameworks such as JUnit
- Experience in Jenkins, GitHub and Selenium
- Experience in working with application servers, such as Tomcat, JBoss, WebLogic and WebSphere
- Experience working with commercial RDBMS, such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and PostgreSQL
- Knowledge of ORM technologies, such as Hibernate, JPA, JDO, HQL, XQuery, XPath
- Experience in agile development including continuous integration
- Experience working in Unix/Linux environment
Intermediate to Senior
Back to top