Senior Java Application Engineer
What’s The Role?
Our Customer and Cloud Ops team is a huge part of Guidewire’s success. We’re rocking a start-up culture and feel, despite being part of a global public company, and we’re growing fast. We’ve got really amazing knowledge of the whole suite of Guidewire products (gained through company-sponsored training), as well as being fluent in Java and SQL, and our goal is to delight our customers with awesome solutions to problems, and great levels of customer service.
Within our CCO team, we have a special department called the CASE team (Customer Application Support Engineering) where we deliver 24/7 service to customers using Guidewire software both on-site and in the Guidewire Cloud. We’re looking for people as passionate and dedicated as we are to join this team as Application Engineers.
Cool! And What Does It Involve?
As a Junior Application Engineer, you’ll work as part of a regional “pod”, serving specified Guidewire customers. You’ll lead and mentor other team members, as well as providing expert troubleshooting, problem remediation, system restoration, and root cause analysis for all assigned cases.
You’ll need to be independent, taking real ownership and responsibility for customer success. And you’ll need to be highly responsive and resourceful, so you can manage customer production issues in a timely way. And, of course, you’ll need to develop professional relationships with your teammates, as well as colleagues across the wider organization, all over the world!
Importantly, this role has a set schedule of five shifts per week, which will include two on Saturday and Sunday. Those weekend days are set, but the other three mid-week days are flexible.
What Are The Role Requirements?
- Research, respond to and resolve cases of moderate to high complexity, in a timely way, and in line with CASE team standards
- Be the primary customer contact for your support cases, meeting Guidewire’s contractual and internal goals for customer communication
- Provide expert solutions to customer problems to ensure satisfaction
- Write thorough and detailed case documentation to meet objectives for Case Quality and Customer Satisfaction scores
- Take ownership and responsibility for support cases
- Escalate customer issues to the CASE Manager when you need to
- Participate in team projects to enhance the quality or efficiency of support
- Participate in after-hours weekend deployments and on-call support as needed
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of Guidewire’s products, achieving Professional-level certification in at least one product area
- Contribute to an environment that encourages information sharing, team-based resolution activity, cross-training, and focus on doing what is best for the customer
- Create knowledgebase articles and other informational documents to be shared with customers and teammates
- Contribute to a team environment with both local and remote leadership
- Partner with Guidewire delivery teams to understand each customer’s business objectives and integration requirements, and rationalize these against established standard methodologies to ensure successful Guidewire Cloud-hosted customer solutions
- Contribute to technical assessments of incoming Guidewire Cloud-hosted solutions, ensuring that pre-production customer solutions meet our security and performance criteria and adhere to our coding standards
- Weekend Rotation is required
- You’ll need a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Familiarity with the Agile software development lifecycle
- Experience providing technical software support for a B2B software company
- Experience with a commercial customer incident tracking or CRM system such as Salesforce.com
- Experience using a software defect tracking system like JIRA
- Advanced exposure to broad technical skills such as Java development, web UI (design and development), XML, application architecture
- Ability to read and interpret application server thread dumps, Oracle AWR reports, and other log files
- Strong understanding of relational databases and SQL
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills; ability to think critically and problem-solve
- Employ sound business judgment when making business decisions
- Use creative and innovative ways to solve problems
- Display a strong work ethic and go above and beyond to get the job done
- Demonstrate strong follow-through and consistently keep commitments to customers and employees
- Display an understanding of the customer’s needs and a strong commitment to customer satisfaction
- Ensure that each and every customer is handled with a consummately professional attitude and the highest possible level of service
- Work weekends (negotiable mid-week shift pattern but Saturday and Sunday must be covered)
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English is a must.
- Travel – expect occasional travel (less than 5% of your time) to other Guidewire offices for training and team meetings
Awesome - So What’s Next?
At Guidewire, we’re always on the lookout for our next adventure.
Our people dig deeper to find the answers. They stand together to create diverse, incredible solutions. They stay imaginative, continuously developing and growing. And they leap further, exploring the limits of the possible with excitement and appetite for more.
Then join us now, and navigate what’s next.
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. More than 400 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 1000+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our Marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
CONSENT and ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
By clicking the submitting your application on the following page:
1. You consent to Guidewire collecting, retaining, disclosing and using your Personal Data as outlined above, and to its transfer of your Personal Data outside the country where you live or work, and/or to third parties for the above purposes.
2. In the event that you submit any Sensitive Personal Data, you explicitly consent to Guidewire collecting, retaining, disclosing and transferring your Sensitive Personal Data on the terms and for the same purposes as described above in relation to Personal Data.
3. You acknowledge that you have the right to access your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data at any time and have the right to correct any errors.
4. You acknowledge that your Personal Data will be retained for up to 24 months.