Functional Consultant - Tokyo, Japan
- Tokyo, Japan
Senior Implementation Architect/Consultant (Functional Consultant)
We are seeking a Bilingual Project Manager/Consultant who is interested in working on a small team of senior level consultants to implement our software at Property and Casualty Insurance Carriers.
We are seeking a Bilingual Consultant to work on our small team of senior level consultants to implement our software at Property and Casualty Insurance Carriers.
The Guidewire Professional Services organization includes business analysts, functional consultants, and technical integration consultants who work together to implement Guidewire applications at customer sites. Our projects are complex and can last from three months to two years depending on the specific customer requirements. During a project, the team will identify customer business requirements, identify solutions leveraging OOTB capabilities coupled with configuration to meet those requirements, and integrate the Guidewire application to other internal or external systems.
Guidewire consultants are expected to spend the majority of their time on site with the client business and technical teams. This is primarily a Japan based role but there may be an opportunity to work in other regions that Guidewire operates in.
Guidewire applications are highly configurable to the requirements of each client, and require a thorough understanding of the objectives and requirements of the client. Key activities for consultants include:
Ability to lead workshops to gather requirements and business needs and provide solution recommendations to the customer
Configuring the Guidewire products to solve customer business challenges. For configuring Guidewire products, consultant will need to use Guidewire provided IDE to configure Screens and DB objects (Entities).
Ability to work independently and effectively with customers on projects
Ability to promote and advocate Guidewire best practices with customers
Partnering with client business teams to understand business objectives and integration requirements
Developing an overall configuration approach for the client
Producing requirement and functional design documents
Estimating the effort required to configure the environment
Working with Guidewire Product management to share configuration concepts and further develop our core product features
Identifying opportunities to meet customer business objectives using business logic and configuring Guidewire applications to meet those objectives
Planning integration testing and user acceptance testing of customer solutions
Supporting execution of integration tests, including monitoring software incidents and communicating software issues to Guidewire engineering
These roles represent Guidewire Software to our customer. The successful consultant is expected to closely with our customers while making sure that Guidewire product management is kept abreast of product strengths and weaknesses. The position requires a unique blend of technical aptitude, business process understanding, and customer-facing skills.
Individuals that join the Guidewire consulting career path are not expected to be experts in all aspects of consulting. All consultants are required to have software configuration skills and a proven track record of consulting skills in order to be successful.
At senior levels, Implementation Architects focus on either the project management track or the integration track. Those on the Project Management track must have project management skills and experience in addition to strong configuration skills. Those on the integration track must be experts in configuration and systems integration skills.
Guidewire Japan requires consultants to be on site four days per week and away from home three nights per week for those consultants that need to travel to a customer site. Locally based consultants are expected to work onsite 5 days a week whereas traveling consultants work the fifth day from their home office.
Required skills/experience - all:
- Professional consulting experience or equivalent insurance business experience (minimum of 5 years for Implementation Architect or 10 years for Senior Implementation Architect)
- At least two years' experience as a Project Manager for Project Management track
- Understanding of software development methodologies
- Experience establishing an overall project plan and monitoring delivery against the plan
- Experience in managing client relationships, such as executing a Statement of Work
- Experience in engineering business process flows
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Japanese
- Demonstrated ability to lead client discussions and navigate client situations
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage/lead projects and workshops
- Ability to self-organize and work independently as part of a small, elite team working closely with large customer/SI teams
- Demonstrated ability to work with clients
- Experience distilling complex business issues into concise requirements statements
- Demonstrated ability to design, configure, and test software products
- Technical skills to master application configuration: modifying XML definitions, understanding of relational database concepts, define & create database objects (entities) and other skills involved with implementing an advanced web application. Having a fair/ good knowledge of OOP concepts will make the learning curve easier for Guidewire products.
- Flexible, enthusiastic approach to work including a strong desire to learn a new product and a new business domain
- Background as a Systems Analyst/Technical Consultant working with Fortune 500 customers
- Prior business process and configuration experience with configurable software such as Oracle Applications or SAP.
- Experience with n-tier web architected solutions
- Knowledge of policy, billing, or claim processes within an insurance company.
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. 380 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 700+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Back to top