Data Management Application Engineer
JOB TITLE: Application Engineer FUNCTION: Customer Service
REPORTS TO: Data Management Support Manager DEPARTMENT: Application Engineering
ORIGINAL DATE: 3 July 2019 JOB CODE:
LAST UPDATE: 9 July 2019 LOCATIONS: Dublin, Ireland
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Are you passionate about customer success? Do you like digging into code, and have a drive to continuously learn and solve problems? Do you want to be part of a fast-growing team that provides the best customer service in the industry? If so, come join us at Guidewire!
At Guidewire, we make software that offers Property and Casualty (P&C) Insurance companies the tools to take care of their customers when they need it the most, whether that’s a time of crisis, a natural disaster, an accident, or exposure to cyber risks. We build the core applications that insurance companies use to sell and underwrite policies, settle claims, and bill their customers. We also have a portfolio of innovate products serving the needs of P&C insurance companies in areas such as data management, digital online portals, and predictive analytics. We serve hundreds of insurance providers all over the world, helping them handle billions of dollars of business.
We are proud to be voted a Top Cloud Employer on Glassdoor by our own employees and positioned as a market leader by industry experts like Gartner. We have a fun work environment and a culture that lives by our core values of integrity, rationality, and collegiality.
We’re searching for people who are as passionate about working together to deliver quality products and support as we are. Join us and enjoy a career where you can make an impact. You’ll be inspired by those around you, and you’ll be trusted and empowered to go further.
Guidewire’s Customer Support team is part of the Cloud & Customer Operations organization, delivering 24x7 service to customers who are using Guidewire software both on-premise and in the Guidewire Cloud.
As an Application Engineer focused on Data Management, you will learn everything there is to know about Guidewire’s Data Hub and InfoCenter products, and you’ll communicate and share that knowledge with Guidewire’s internal and external customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research, respond to and accurately resolve cases of moderate complexity, in a timely manner and in accordance with the Customer Support Team standards
- Function as primary customer contact for all assigned support cases, meeting Guidewire’s contractual and internal goals for initial response and subsequent customer communication
- Provide expert solutions to customer problems to ensure customer satisfaction
- Write thorough and detailed case documentation to meet objectives for Case Quality and Customer Satisfaction scores
- Proactively take ownership and responsibility for support cases where and when required
- Escalate customer issues to the Support Manager as appropriate
- Participate in team projects that enhance the quality or efficiency of support
- Participate in after-hours and on-call support as needed
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of Guidewire’s products
- Contribute to an environment that encourages information sharing, team-based resolution activity, cross training and an absolute focus on doing what is best for the customer
- Create knowledgebase articles and other informational documents to be shared with customers and teammates
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong knowledge of relational database theory, data mapping, data modeling
- Knowledge of data-warehousing, Data Marts (including star and snowflake schemas) and BI
- 3+ years of experience in database administration (Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server)
- Fluency in SQL scripting (TSQL and/or PL/SQL), including query optimization
- Experience working with Cognos for report design and maintenance
- Experience with ETL tools such as SAP Business Objects, Informatica, SSIS
- Experience with case management/ticketing systems such as Salesforce.com or Service Now
- Familiarity with Java and XML
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills; ability to think critically and display an aptitude for problem solving
- Employ sound business judgment when making business decisions
- Use creative and innovative ways to solve problems
- Display a strong work ethic and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Demonstrate strong follow-through and consistently keep commitments to customers and employees
- Display an understanding of the customer’s needs and a strong commitment to customer satisfaction
- Ensure that each and every customer is handled with a consummately professional attitude and the highest possible level of service
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English
- You will be part of a team based at our company offices in Toronto, Dublin, or Kuala Lumpur (working remotely is not an option)
- We provide 24x7 support to our customers, so we expect you to take turns with your teammates being on-call for after-hours production emergencies
- Travel – Expect occasional travel (less than 5%) to other Guidewire offices for training and meetings
Meet Some of Guidewire's Employees
Sam D.Senior Software Engineer
Sam collaborates with product designers to turn their visions into reality. She also ensures they’re building the right products in the right time frame.
Back to top