Cloud Operations Engineer (AWS)
- Dublin, Ireland
Cloud Operations Engineer (AWS)
Guidewire’s Cloud Operations Team is part of the Customer & Cloud Operations (CCO) organization, delivering 24x7 service to customers who are using Guidewire’s software products on the Guidewire Cloud Platform
As a Cloud Operations Engineer, you will be part of a team that is passionately trying to automate everything possible to make Guidewire systems run more efficiently. The CloudOps team is dedicated full-time to crafting and running software that improves the reliability of systems in production, serving hundreds of customers and supporting millions of transactions every single day. You will be operating Guidewire’s flagship cloud platform and InsuranceSuite products and building tooling to help ensure efficient operations and optimal availability of all SaaS multi-tenant and customer-focused systems. Cloud engineers collaborate closely with Guidewire’s product developers to ensure that the Guidewire core cloud products address functional and non-functional requirements such as availability, performance, observability, and maintainability.
At the forefront of Guidewire’s cloud team, Customer and Cloud Operations ensures Guidewire products remain up and running so our customers are available to respond to their insured when an emergency or natural disaster strikes. Therefore, Cloud Operations 24X7 global team includes Cloud Operations Engineers who work rotational weekend shifts and provide occasional emergency coverage.
This role requires a high degree of independence, ownership and responsibility. If you like to be challenged and have a passion for solving problems at scale with systems like Kubernetes and Aurora, then we would love to hear from you. The ideal candidate is someone who exemplifies the ethics of, "If you have to do something more than once, automate it," and who can rapidly self-educate on new concepts and tools. Bonus points if you have prior experience doing production support of a SaaS platform, and are comfortable working with state-of-the-art highly containerized cloud-native environments in AWS.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Deploy and operate shared multi-tenant infrastructure for a SaaS microservice-based containerized systems in addition to customer-centric application environments
- Administer and automate the team’s growing presence in AWS
- Operational support for Guidewire’s flagship highly integrated Java-based InsuranceSuite web applications
- Implement and operate a complex single sign-on SAML/OAuth-based central authentication platform
- Develop and deploy tooling to aid in driving 24x7x365 service operations of critical world-wide systems
- Automate deployment tasks for core product and infrastructure tools and maintain automation infrastructure
- Build system documentation and training materials to empower and educate our own and other CCO teams
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Familiarity with the Agile software development lifecycle
- Background with Linux systems administration and strong scripting skills in Bash, Python, Go, etc.
- Experience supporting web applications running on Java / Apache / Tomcat in a live production environment
- Proven experience with automating systems and infrastructure with Terraform
- Production-At-Scale support background in a heavily microservice-based world
- Working with Kubernetes hands-on in a “Been there, Done that” way
- Strong understanding of Single-Sign On, SAML, oAuth (Bonus points if hands-on experience with Okta)
- Background utilizing and supporting log analytical tools such as DataDog (Logging and APM)
- Great understanding of DevOps tools, CI/CD and hands-on experience with git, Bitbucket and TeamCity
- Seasoned expertise around x.509 certificate technology and basic concepts of encryption
- Solid understanding of concepts surrounding containerized networking and all things IP
- Experience working with Relational Databases such as Aurora Postgres and/or Oracle RDS
- Exposure to broad technical skills such as application development, web UI (design and development), JSON, application architecture
- Ability to read and interpret application server thread dumps, Catalina outputs, CloudTrail, and other critical logging outputs.
Personal Qualities & Soft Skills
- A no-fear approach to ambiguity and a startup-like culture
- You greatly prefer CLIops to ClickOps
- You enjoy teaching and being a mentor to others
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills; ability to think critically and display an aptitude for problem solving
- Strongly analytical mind with an appetite for process development and improvement
- Display a strong work ethic and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- A highly positive can-do attitude with a knack for being a great teammate
- Excellent communication skills and ability to explain complex technical concepts to a varied audience
- Demonstrate strong follow-through and consistently keep commitments to customers and employees
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English
- We provide 24x7 support to our customers, so we expect you to take turns with your teammates being on-call for weekend production emergencies or to provide rotating weekend operational support
- Travel – Expect occasional travel (less than 5%) to other Guidewire offices for training and team meetings
Guidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. More than 400 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 1000+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our Marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
CONSENT and ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
By clicking the submitting your application on the following page:
1. You consent to Guidewire collecting, retaining, disclosing and using your Personal Data as outlined above, and to its transfer of your Personal Data outside the country where you live or work, and/or to third parties for the above purposes.
2. In the event that you submit any Sensitive Personal Data, you explicitly consent to Guidewire collecting, retaining, disclosing and transferring your Sensitive Personal Data on the terms and for the same purposes as described above in relation to Personal Data.
3. You acknowledge that you have the right to access your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data at any time and have the right to correct any errors.
4. You acknowledge that your Personal Data will be retained for up to 24 months.
Back to top