Senior Financial Reporting Accountant
Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company is seeking an extremely detailed, self-driven and technically savvy individual to join the accounting operations and systems team within the Accounting and Financial Reporting department. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President Financial Reporting and Analysis, this individual will work in a highly collaborative team to complete a variety of detailed and traditional accounting and financial reporting activities, with an emphasis on a variety of accounting operations and systems, reconciling the interfaces with the general ledger, maintaining account balances, executing and documenting internal controls and testing accounting transactions generated by the policy administration system. A minimum of five (5) years accounting experience in the insurance industry, or specific to commission accounting, plus involvement with application testing and using technology to improve accounting processes and reports are necessary.
Tasks are performed on behalf of multiple legal entities within the Guggenheim Insurance family of companies which will inevitably involve interacting with peers in Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company and Guggenheim Insurance as well as affiliated entities and Guggenheim Partners Accounting. This positon is located on the north side of Indianapolis IN.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Oversees and reviews the interfaces between the policy administration systems, data warehouse and general ledger, including but not limited to new business, in-force policy activity, agent commissions, and other financial transactions.
- Assists in testing of accounting transactions resulting from new product development or system updates.
- Reviews and approves data entries including GAAP journals, general recurring journals and miscellaneous entries, as necessary, to meet the monthly closing schedule requirements.
- Reviews and approves general ledger account reconciliations.
- Participates in the administration of the commission settlement process.
- Executes internal control processes for accurate and timely MAR compliance and documentation.
- Assists with various audits of company records, working with external auditors and internal auditors.
Skills & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training and experience in Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- 5 or more years accounting and reporting experience, preferably in the insurance industry or specific to commission accounting
- Working knowledge of insurance policy (life and/or annuity) administration systems and general ledger applications (EAS preferred) helpful
- Experience with application testing and using technology to improve accounting processes and reports is necessary.
- Excellent oral, written, listening, and presentation skills and ability to clearly articulate complex information to others
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and issues of all types
- Ability to work effectively with all departments and affiliates to ensure integration of strategic goals and principles
- "Technically minded" with aptitude and desire to apply and streamline technology solutions to accounting processes
- Advanced working knowledge of basic office and PC applications, including MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and superior communication skills.
In addition, the ideal candidate will be or have
- Ownership and accountability
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to multi-task and continue to execute under pressure
- Internally driven and self-motivated
- Initiative and self-driven to increase knowledge and exposure to Accounting/Finance practices and procedures
About Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company, a subsidiary of Guggenheim Partners, provides financial services to institutional and retail customers through fixed annuity products distributed through networks of independent marketing organizations (IMOs) and agents nationwide. For more information about Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company, please visit: www.guggenheimlife.com.
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people, who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diversified and inclusive workforce.
Meet Some of Guggenheim Partners's Employees
Project Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Darrin heads Guggenheim’s Cross-Functional Project Team in the Chicago Office. He focuses his energies on high-priority management, operations, and sales distribution investment projects.
Back to top