Investment Compliance Paralegal
The Investment Compliance Paralegal will report to the Assistant Vice President and Senior Counsel of Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company and will be responsible for supporting various operating business units, including the Investment Team, Treasury and Investment Accounting. In addition to established organizational skills, the successful candidate will (i) demonstrate an ability to manage and track various open tasks and assignments independently, (ii) have experience with drafting and maintaining corporate legal documents, and (iii) be comfortable interacting with senior level attorneys and executives. The ideal candidate would also have familiarity with "know your customer" ("KYC") documentation and processes and experience with derivatives transactions. This role presents an opportunity to grow in a dynamic growing organization and department.
The position is located in Chicago, Illinois.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Coordinates with Investment Team to review, complete, organize, and maintain confidential Company investment files, which includes reviewing KYC documentation related to Company investments, confirming and certifying receipt of required documentation, and completing and archiving related checklists.
- Develops and maintains procedures for cataloging, indexing, and naming documents filed in an electronic investment files database; regularly reviews permissions for access to database by Company personnel; provides guidance to Investment Team to ensure consistency in applying procedures to new and existing documents for historical purposes.
- Drafts legal memoranda regarding compliance of investments with applicable insurance law.
- Coordinates with other department representatives within Guggenheim Insurance to ensure newly created documents are appropriately cataloged and maintained and practices are applied consistently across insurance entities.
- Responds to inquiries and retrieves documents as requested by external auditors, insurance regulators and authorized Guggenheim Insurance personnel.
- Learns other legal/compliance department functions in order to back-up legal/compliance department members who have primary responsibility for these functions.
- May assist with large legal/compliance projects, such as production of documents related to litigation matters, regulatory inquiries, and complying with subpoena requests and participate in other projects within the legal/compliance department.
Skills & Experience Required:
- BA degree in business or related field or equivalent work experience in a legal and/or business setting
- Paralegal certificate or equivalent college-level coursework
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in compliance and/or commercial transactions as a legal assistant/paralegal or executive assistant in a law firm or a publicly or privately owned company
- Experience supervising other professional staff and/or leading project teams across multiple departments is helpful but not required
- Insurance and/or financial services industry experience preferred
- Must demonstrate sound judgment and analytical skills with ability to work independently with a high degree of accuracy
- Excellent research and analytical skills to gather facts, analyze, organize, and summarize information
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- High degree of professionalism, trustworthiness, and a demonstrated ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information
- Mastery of MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook; experience using database tools (e.g., Access) and document management systems (e.g., OpenText) preferred; working knowledge of internet, NILS, Westlaw or Lexis-Nexis, and/or other online legal information systems helpful
In addition, the ideal candidate will be or have:
- Attention to detail
- Professional communication and demeanor
- Sense of urgency, initiative
- Professionalism, tact, diplomacy
- Problem solving
- Quick learner
About Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company
Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company, a subsidiary of Guggenheim Partners, provides financial services to institutional and retail customers through fixed annuity products distributed through networks of independent marketing organizations and agents nationwide.
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people, who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diversified and inclusive workforce.
Meet Some of Guggenheim Partners's Employees
Investment Research Analyst
Maria works on the Macroeconomics and Investment Research Team in the Santa Monica Office. She analyzes financial trends to help Guggenheim identify optimal investment solutions and monitor risks for their clients.
Back to top