Equity Research Associate - Utilities
About the Position
Guggenheim is seeking a qualified candidate as a sell-side Equity Research Associate in Utilities. This person will be responsible for following the progress of public and private Utility companies and supporting the Senior Research Analyst. In addition to excellent communication and financial modeling skills, the ideal candidate will demonstrate high aptitude for gathering and synthesizing relevant primary market data, willingness to conduct ongoing independent market research and related industry networking. The ability to convey an investment message through a written research report is key to the success of this hire. The successful candidate will have experience within, or related to, the Utilities industry and be comfortable interacting with company management teams or in a client-facing environment.
The Equity Research Associate role presents an opportunity to apply your industry knowledge and financial acumen towards generating good investment ideas. The position is located in New York City.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Analyze individual Utility companies and market trends; conduct primary research, including but not limited to, financial analysis, due diligence on industry trends, company management, and strategies
- Prepare regular written research reports that summarize the findings of analysis, including estimates of expected current year business results
- Write comprehensive research reports and present findings; draft reports/ notes on relevant investment themes, events, and breaking news
- Provide support to the Senior Analyst through fundamental analysis with an emphasis on original, bottom-up research in the Utilities sector
- Contribute to building valuation models
- Write notes in response to daily news flow; keep the Senior Analyst up-to-date on important news; adjust financial models and files to reflect latest information
- Update analyst marketing handout regularly
- Interact with the Firm's institutional sales force and investor clients
- Respond to client and internal inquiries regarding research findings and directives
Skills & Experience Required
- BA/BS degree required; MBA preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years utilities sector experience in: Wall Street research (sell-side or buy-side), investment banking, or corporate roles in the industry
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Must have series 7, 63, 86 and 87 licenses or obtain licenses within 3 months of hire
- Fluency in modeling financial statements, including forecasting product revenues; familiarity with discounted cash flows, valuation, and net present value calculations; ability to analyze data to determine trends
- Understanding of the capital markets and stock markets, and a passion for investing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to successfully convey investment messages, ideas, or nuances to team members, salespeople, and/or traders
- Outstanding analytical skills; ability to conduct deep primary research, analysis, and draw conclusions from information
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills and style conducive to building relationships
- Ability to thrive in a fast- paced, deadline-driven environment; self-starter with a proven commitment to producing high quality work
- Team oriented, unquestionable honesty and integrity, intellectual curiosity, and dedication to providing clients with the best products
- Ability to deliver under pressure and meet deadlines effectively
About Guggenheim Securities
Guggenheim Securities is the investment banking and capital markets business of Guggenheim Partners. Guggenheim Securities offers a full range of services that fall into four broad categories: Advisory, Sales and Trading, Financing, and Research. Guggenheim Securities is headquartered in New York, with additional offices in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
About Guggenheim Partners
Guggenheim Partners is a global investment and advisory firm with more than $305 billion1 in assets under management. Across our three primary businesses of investment management, investment banking, and insurance services, we have a track record of delivering results through innovative solutions. With more than 2,300 professionals worldwide as of December 31, 2017, based in over 25 offices in six countries and headquarters in New York and Chicago. Our commitment is to advance the strategic interests of our clients and to deliver long-term results with excellence and integrity. We invite you to learn more about our expertise and values by visiting GuggenheimPartners.com and following us on Twitter at twitter.com/guggenheimptnrs .
1(Assets under management are as of 12.31.2017 and include consulting services for clients whose assets are valued at approximately $66bn.)
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people, who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diversified and inclusive workforce.
Meet Some of Guggenheim Partners's Employees
Investment Research Analyst
Maria works on the Macroeconomics and Investment Research Team in the Santa Monica Office. She analyzes financial trends to help Guggenheim identify optimal investment solutions and monitor risks for their clients.
Back to top