Director of Mutual Fund Tax
Guggenheim is seeking an exceptional candidate to join its mutual fund administration team as the Director of Mutual Fund Tax, reporting to the Managing Director of Mutual Fund Administration. This person will be responsible for all aspects of mutual fund tax, including compliance, strategy and planning, liason with business units and oversight of 3rd party tax service providers. The ideal candidate will have an extensive background in 1940 Act fund taxation.
This role presents an opportunity to join a team that sits at the 'hub' of Guggenheim Investments at an exciting time of growth and evolution at all levels of the company.
The position is located in Chicago.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Direct all aspects of the 1940 Act Funds' ("Funds") tax matters
- Coordination and oversight of the 3rd party tax service provider utilized by the Funds
- Act as primary tax liaison with outside tax advisors, consultants, auditors, and fund administrators
- Keep current on emerging tax issues that impact the Funds, actively participate in the industry
- Coordinate with internal departments to ensure that the tax issues, policies and guidelines are understood and implemented correctly
- Develop a strong working relationship with portfolio management teams and pro-actively provide the teams with the necessary reporting to assist in the dividend / excise tax management of the Funds
- Ensure the appropriate level of documentation is created and maintained to support analyses performed, decisions made and conclusions reached
- Prepare/review tax disclosure for insertion in financial statements
- Assist in monitoring book/tax differences such as PFICS, wash sales, straddles, contingent debt, equity/debt determination, REITS, MLP's etc.
- Review adequacy of tax provisions on taxable MLP funds
- Perform tax research, advice and analysis for current and potential products (i.e. swaps, publically traded partnerships, derivatives, etc.) including keeping appraised of developments and industry issues; draft tax position memos as needed
- Perform FIN 48 analysis
- Review and maintain monthly and quarterly tax compliance, IRC diversification, income tests, etc.
- Enhance/develop internal tax policies/procedures and automation solutions
- Assist in the training and development of portfolio administration staff on tax matters
Skills & Experience Required:
- A minimum of 15 years of mutual fund taxation experience with at least 5 years in a management / leadership role
- Undergraduate degree in accounting and CPA certification is required. A masters in tax or LLM is desirable
- Financial services industry experience is highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to research tax issues
- Knowledge of financial product taxation issues (e.g., taxation of derivatives, PFICs, REITs, Debt, etc)
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to specific tax matters
- Strong technical skills
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel and Word
About Guggenheim Investments
Guggenheim Investments is the global asset management and investment advisory division of Guggenheim Partners, with expertise in fixed income, equity, and alternative strategies. We focus on the return and risk needs of insurance companies, corporate and public pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, endowments and foundations, consultants, wealth managers, and high-net-worth investors. Our team of investment professionals performs rigorous research to understand market trends and identify undervalued opportunities in areas that are often complex and underfollowed. This approach to investment management has enabled us to deliver innovative strategies providing diversification opportunities and attractive long-term results.
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people, who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diversified and inclusive workforce.
Meet Some of Guggenheim Partners's Employees
Project Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Darrin heads Guggenheim’s Cross-Functional Project Team in the Chicago Office. He focuses his energies on high-priority management, operations, and sales distribution investment projects.
Back to top