Analyst, Mutual Fund Tax Administration
About the Position
Guggenheim is seeking an exceptional individual to join its Mutual Fund Tax Administration team. Reporting to the Manager of Mutual Fund Tax, this person will join a highly collaborative team responsible for monitoring the flow of information to our tax service providers, management of federal and foreign tax filings, and preparation of fiscal and excise tax work papers. The successful candidate will have experience in the financial services industry and be comfortable interacting with all levels of management in a team environment.
The role presents an opportunity to maintain regulatory compliance by preparing information for required filings, including financial reports and responding to audit requests. The position is located in the firm's Chicago, IL office.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Assist in the ongoing tax compliance; oversee preparation and filing of income tax returns and other tax reports required by local tax authorities
- Assist in the review of quarterly Regulated Investment Company (RIC) qualification testing
- Assist in the coordination of tax review and consultation services with outside professional accountants as needed
- Oversee developments in international filing requirements and collaborates with managers on updates in policies to ensure accurate completion of reclaims and international filings
- Oversee developments in GAAP reporting requirements and reviews updated tax disclosure requirements in financial statements
- Monitor policy and procedures on RIC (or like) qualification to ensure processes are in place to ensure compliance with the RIC (or like) qualification tests
- Monitor regulatory changes for impact on RIC qualification. Coordinates with management and outside advisors on potential qualification issues
- Actively support product management by providing the tax impact on fund mergers and liquidations and provides tax solutions as applicable
- Monitor changes in the economic, regulatory, and risk environment, focusing on changes in the tax laws/regulations, access the impact on the funds of any changes, and monitor any needed changes in procedures and controls
- Assess the impact of proposed regulatory changes on the funds
- Assess controls in relations to risk assumed. Keep management informed as regulatory changes cause the risk profile to change
- Review new products structure and design for tax impact and actively works with the team to develop tax solutions
- Review new and existing fund investments for tax impact and actively works with the team to develop tax solutions
- Review changes to the funds for tax impact and actively works with the team to develop tax solutions
- Coordinate with product development to ensure all new funds will be in compliance with the RIC qualifications
- Support the Fund Treasurers in the reporting requirements to the board
- Directly support the Fund Treasurers for all other matters
- Liaison with our wash sale provider Gains Keeper and overseeing wash sale report request
- Prepare K-1 reconciliation for partnership investments with transaction activity
- Prepare capital gains estimates for fiscal and excise tax measuring periods
- Assist in UIT pre-deposit reviews for grantor and RIC structures
- Assist in year-end 1099 file preparation, primary, secondary, and non-resident alien tax files
Skills & Experience Required
- Minimum of two years tax experience preferably with 1940 Act Funds
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, economics, or business.
- CPA designation preferred
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet stringent deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Deadline and detail orientation.
- Strong computer, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to identify and effectively communicate issues affecting assigned funds.
- Ability to work both individually and within a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
About Guggenheim Investments
Guggenheim Investments is the global asset management and investment advisory division of Guggenheim Partners, with expertise in fixed income, equity, and alternative strategies. We focus on the return and risk needs of insurance companies, corporate and public pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, endowments and foundations, consultants, wealth managers, and high-net-worth investors. Our team of investment professionals performs rigorous research to understand market trends and identify undervalued opportunities in areas that are often complex and underfollowed. This approach to investment management has enabled us to deliver innovative strategies providing diversification opportunities and attractive long-term results.
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people, who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diversified and inclusive workforce.
Meet Some of Guggenheim Partners's Employees
Project Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Darrin heads Guggenheim’s Cross-Functional Project Team in the Chicago Office. He focuses his energies on high-priority management, operations, and sales distribution investment projects.
Back to top