Utilities Manager (Biopharma)
- York, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Marietta
Posted Date: Sep 11 2020
Are you looking for an opportunity to demonstrate your technical expertise and leadership in critical utility operations with a science led global healthcare company? If so, this Utilities Manager rol e at our s econdary aseptic operations and packaging facility could be an ideal opportunity for you to explore.
Located at GSK's vaccines manufacturing site in Marietta, PA, you will be in close proximity to Lancaster with its great downtown dining and entertainment options while also providing plenty of space and fresh air for outdoor exploration including a scenic local area river trail. Marietta is also within a few hours of New Jersey and Delaware beaches as well as Philadelphia, Baltimore and the DC Metro area so a quick day-trip or weekend getaway is always an option.
The Utilities Manager is responsible for safe operations of site wide utilities within a 24/7 production environment. This role is accountable for the preventative maintenance and sustainability programs related to site utilities which include Industrial and Clean Utility Systems. The incumbent is responsible to establish and implement technical standards, operating procedures and specifications in compliance with regulatory and GSK Vaccines requirements. Must be capable of being certified to operate commercial boilers. Effectively manages the overall utility program within the site Facilities Management portfolio. Must ensure compliance and inspection readiness across the site as SME for site utility systems and provide cross functional support to partnering departments. Demonstrates skills and competencies that deliver safe and reliable supply to site customers. Must supervise, lead and motivate a Utilities team across all shifts.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Safety, Health, Environment: Maintain safe, compliant and efficient operations of critical Central Utilities at GSK Vaccines, Marietta PA. These central utilities support approximately 500,000 square feet of operations and directly impact the quality and reliability of site supply.
- Quality: Ensure compliant GMP operations. Maintain Quality Management System assignments related to equipment failures/deviations/unplanned events, perform root cause investigations, and develop CAPA's to drive reliability
- People: Lead a department comprised of a Utilities Engineer and Utilities Technicians to operate and maintain related systems. Coordinate employee schedules and maintain required coverage for operations.
- Performance: leverage a continuous improvement model to ensure fit for purpose preventive maintenance programs and metrics, including PM's, WO's, and calibration of all Clean Utilities equipment and instruments that delvers highly efficient and reliable operations.
- Cost: Responsible for management of site utilities maintenance budget. Utilizes appropriate balance of in-house and contract labor.
- Central Utilities and Site Facility Infrastructure: Systems include but are not limited to the Waste Water Treatment Plant, Clean Utility Systems such as Clean Steam, WFI, PW, and Process Air, in addition to Industrial Utilities such as Plant Steam, Boilers, Pipe Racks, Bio-Waste System, Water Softeners, Industrial Waste System, Emergency Generators, Domestic Water and Air Compressors.
- Technical standards: The incumbent is responsible to establish, develop and implement technical standards, requirements, and specifications in compliance with regulatory agencies, DEP, and GSK Vaccines requirements.
- Validation & Qualification: Lead and own overall responsibility for implementing and executing IQ/OQ/PQ for areas of ownership and responsibility.
- Inspection & Compliance: Must operate and maintain Site utilities in a state of compliance according to GMP/quality standards, regulatory agencies and permit authorities. Must maintain state of readiness for regulatory inspections of critical utility systems.
- Sub-contractors, contractors, and vendor selection: Provide technical and commercial input in procedures for contracted supplier's and develop short term and long term strategy in supplier/contractor selection. Ensure vendor performance and delivery of work performed.
- Support for Project Management: Drive timing and execute follow-up of projects for technical matters related to utilities equipment and validation.
- Degree of uncertainty: High risk of changes in project timing, scope, and prioritization. Priorities can change very quickly due to new business opportunity or new sales projection.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor of Science Degree.
- Experience with and working knowledge of facilities equipment and utility systems - specifically boiler & steam distribution.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- B.S. Engineering degree in a Mechanical, Chemical Engineering subject area.
- Demonstrated familiarity and compliance with cGMP's, EHS procedures and regulations, facility regulatory guidelines, and standard operating procedures.
- Sense of urgency, flexibility and accountability.
- Demonstrated capability and leadership of non-exempt Technicians across 24/7 multi-shift operations experience is highly desired.
- Experience with process equipment, process instrumentation, controls and automation within an operational facility.
- Experience in the biopharma / aseptic processing industry or other highly regulated operational facility.
- Experience with Clean Utility Systems such as Clean Steam, WFI (water for injection), PW (purified water), RO (reverse osmosis).
- Certified to operate critical utilities (Plant Boilers) or become certified within 1 year from date of hire.
- Team player able to create and sustain an environment of trust and motivation while ensuring team performance through individual ownership and accountability.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills including ability to communicate at all levels.
- Ability to follow written procedures and document results in a precise manner. Intermediate computer skills required.
- Demonstrated commitment to accuracy and quality while meeting goals or deadlines.
- Maintain a high level of integrity while balancing multiple priorities and responsibilities.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top