Team Leader/Investigator Biopharm Cell Line Development
- Stevenage, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage
Posted Date: May 12 2020
The Biopharm Cell Line Development (CLD) group is seeking to augment its team of enthusiastic and passionate scientists, dedicated to driving the delivery of high-quality, commercialisable cell lines expressing GSK's portfolio of Biopharmaceutical molecules.
Cell Line Development sits within the wider Biopharm Process Research (BPR) group whose key remit is to accelerate the development of Biopharmaceutical assets into clinical manufacture by linking drug discovery and product development. By the application of techniques varying from traditional molecular biology and cell culture through to bespoke automation programming, cellular analysis and data visualisation; CLD scientists facilitate the development of thousands of cell lines per year in support of multiple projects running concurrently. The Cell Line Development team intend to maximise the impact of recent investments in state-of-the-art automation, imaging and data analysis by the recruitment of an innovative Team Leader to head the Project CLD team and drive the delivery of cell lines for the Biopharm portfolio.
The Team Leader role will report to the Head of Cell Line Development and be accountable for the delivery of commercially ready cell lines for GSK's Biopharm portfolio. This is a fast-paced position with the expectation that the successful candidate will rapidly embed themselves within the team and lead it from the laboratory. We are looking for an autonomous individual with knowledge and experience within a Cell Line Development setting who will lead by example and energise the Project CLD team members to maintain their high level of performance. The successful applicant must demonstrate exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and strive to rapidly build and maintain strong collaborations with colleagues across the Cell Line Development group and into the wider BPR and GSK. The Team Leader will also be responsible for provision of regulatory-facing documentation to support CLD campaigns, therefore they must have a keen eye for detail and be accountable for the quality of the data presented in support of the cell lines generated by their team.
This role offers numerous opportunities for personal development and training, particularly due to the cross-functional interactions that will be a key to success. The successful applicant must demonstrate a willingness to learn, an ability to recognise gaps in their skill sets, and a drive to pro-actively seek opportunities to develop themselves.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the Project CLD team by prioritising the continued personal and technical development of team members and encouraging an inquisitive and science-driven culture.
- The scheduling and resourcing of Cell Line Development activities to meet business needs
- Driving the delivery of CLD project campaigns in the laboratory and ensuring open communication with key stakeholders
- Authoring of detailed technical reports and process transfer documents required for cell bank transfer to GSK's GMP facility and as primary information for regulatory facing documents.
- Ensuring that the Project CLD team maintain a high-performance lab environment, by managing their time effectively, maintaining daily upkeep of business-critical equipment and by encouraging cross-team working to achieve shared objectives.
- Staying current with the latest regulatory requirements and advances in cell line associated technologies. Implement findings according to business needs.
- Lead/ Contribute to project and matrix teams as appropriate.
- Seeking all opportunities to develop and maintain a strong Intellectual Property position.
- Maintaining relationships with external professional, trade, and scientific organisations consistent with GSK business needs.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in a cell biology focused discipline and industrially relevant experience OR BSc/MSc in a relevant discipline with significant industrial experience
- Experience of Cell Line Development in an industrial setting with a thorough understanding of typical workloads, challenges and bottlenecks that may be encountered.
- Excellent planning, communication and interpersonal skills
- Evidence of identifying and embedding innovative technical solutions in their research/ or work.
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in the authoring of scientific publications, patent submissions, and regulatory facing documentation
- Experience leading and energising a team with diverse skill sets
- Experience with data visualisation skills (Spotfire/JMP/Tableau)
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk. Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution. Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning. Sustaining energy and well-being Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations. Budgeting and cost-consciousness
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top