Statistical Genetics Director
- Stevenage, United Kingdom
Site Name: Stevenage
Posted Date: May 1 2020
We are seeking a leading statistical geneticist, with a track record of high quality scientific research. The candidate will lead scientific teams to answer challenging questions at the interface of human genetics and drug development, by leveraging the best available genetic and genomic resources and applying state-of-the-art methods.
GSK aims to improve the number of successful late stage clinical trials for innovative medicines, by both identifying and advancing drug targets that have strong evidence of a causal role in disease biology. The Human Genetics team leverages major scientific and technological advances, including investment in biobanks linked to large-scale human health databases, cutting-edge informatics platforms, breakthrough understanding of biological pathways, functional genomics capabilities built upon rapid progress in gene editing, and leading industry-academia partnerships, in order to identify the best targets and to continue evaluation of targets through their life in the pipeline.
The successful candidate will be appointed as Director or as Scientific Leader (depending on experience and skills). They will work in a multidisciplinary science-focused environment, to advance the application of human genetics in drug discovery and clinical development with an eye towards positively impacting the success of the R&D pipeline. This field-leading research addresses important drug discovery and development challenges, directly impacts GSK's R&D pipeline, and is published in top scientific journals.
The successful candidate will:
- Define strategies for acquisition and analysis of human genetic and genomic data, interpretation and communication of results.
- Engage with project teams of GSK scientists to drive innovative use of genetic/genomic data and analyses.
- Deliver key projects, prioritize scientific inquiries and balance resourcing in line with Human Genetics' and GSK's scientific strategy.
- Shape the developing science of drug target identification and validation by providing scientific leadership to the Research organization and beyond.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- PhD and extensive experience in statistical genetics, genetic epidemiology, statistical bioinformatics, or a related field.
- Deep experience in analyses of human genetic and phenotypic data, interpretation of genetic associations, and use of functional annotation to investigate potential causal mechanisms, with publications in high-impact peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary teams and develop junior scientists.
- Familiarity with a distributed data and compute environment, ideally Apache Hadoop based.
- Ability to leverage multi-omic data sets to drive biological insights.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Applications of human genetics approaches in target identification and validation.
- Track record of development and/or implementation of innovative statistical genetics or data analytics methodology.
- Experience with pharmacogenomic assessments at various stages through drug development.
- Engagement with large-scale biobanks and/or other large-scale genetic resources.
- Leadership experience in international academic and/or industry consortia.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top