Statistical Bioinformatician - UK
- Stevenage, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage
Posted Date: May 7 2020
GSK's goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We have 3 global businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We are committed to widening access to our products, so more people can benefit, no matter where they live in the world or what they can afford to pay.
GSK has a thriving global community of statisticians across the three divisions of our company. Within the pharmaceutical division, our clinical statisticians are industry leading experts in data analysis and methodologic research. Our end-to-end project support model ensures that our statisticians collaborate across the entire range of drug development, from early clinical development, to registration and marketed product support.
The successful candidate will serve as an expert scientific leader in the Statistical Bioinformatics team and will have the opportunity to be closely engaged in the clinical biomarker objectives and significantly influence the translational medicine efforts and companion diagnostic development.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide high quality and timely support for the various biomarker projects across all phases of drug development pipeline in collaboration with other functional area scientists.
- Embrace and consider a wide range of classical and modern data analytic and predictive modeling (machine learning) methods and solutions.
- Propose and implement optimal and fit-for-purpose statistical and computational solutions for various biomarker studies.
- Proactively give and receive feedback on the projects supported by all members of the Statistical Bioinformatics team to ensure high quality contributions for biomarker needs in the drug development pipeline.
- Develop and automate data analysis and visualization tools.
- Maintain proficiency in applying a variety of classical and modern statistical methods and machine learning algorithms and be competent in explaining and justifying the methods used.
- Lead the development and evaluation of new statistical methods and machine learning algorithms for research topics of greatest need.
- Significantly contribute to the external scientific community via conference presentations, publications and collaborations.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience with a wide variety of biomarker data such as genomics, proteomics and imaging from various traditional and cutting-edge analytical platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise in applying sound computational and statistical approaches for processing and analyzing data from these platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively contribute to the project strategy and decisions beyond the core data analysis elements.
- An analytical and inquisitive mind with a proven track record for problem solving.
- Well-honed written and oral communication skills.
- A proven ability to build effective and trusting relationships with members of interdisciplinary matrix teams.
- A proven ability to build powerful networks within and outside the company and use these relationships to achieve support for the planning and implementation of innovative approaches.
- PhD in statistics, computational methods or related field with focus on methods for genomics and related high-dimensional data analysis.
- Relevant pharmaceutical research experience with high-dimensional biomarker data from all phases of clinical trials, or Masters in statistics or related field with some relevant experience.
- Highly proficient in a wide range of classical and modern statistical and machine learning methods, with good external reputation via strong publications and conference presentations.
- Strong multi-tasking and self-management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the computational support for multiple clinical studies/projects.
- Develop and execute sound analysis strategy in a timely manner with clear and insightful presentation and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply innovative and fit-for-purpose statistical and predictive modeling methods for the analysis of biomarker and high dimensional data from clinical trials.
- Strong programming skills in R with demonstrated ability to develop and automate analysis scripts and tools for broader use.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a proven track record of building and maintaining strong working relationships.
- A demonstrated ability to explain novel and standard methods to scientific and clinical colleagues.
- Background in biological sciences, bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Strong track record of methodological and applied research, conference presentations and publications.
- Experience in applying Bayesian statistical methods in biomarker applications.
- Prior experience in precision medicine and drug development.
- Programming experience in other languages such as Python, Perl, SAS, etc.
- Experience providing statistical support for the development of companion diagnostics
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top