Sr Automation Engineer - MES
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Feb 2 2021
Are you energized by an engineering role that enhances your leadership capabilities and allows you to shape process improvement across the site? If so, this Sr Automation Engineer - MES role could be an exciting opportunity to explore.
As a Sr Automation Engineer, you will be a technical resource for the design, configuration, implementation, testing, commissioning, qualification, maintenance, and improvement of the process automation and MES systems .
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Function as a site technical expert for all questions and issues related to process control systems supporting the manufacturing of biologic products. Be a site leader in current automation technology and GSK standards - attend conferences, develop technical expertise, conduct on-site training, etc.
- Support the configuration, administration and maintenance activities of the site's manufacturing computer and automation systems, including process control systems (DeltaV and Allen Bradly PLC), building automation systems (Siemens Apogee), data historians (InfoPlus21), and MES (Syncade).
- Design, configuration, testing, and maintenance of MES elements including electronic batch records, master data, system configuration, and interfaces.
- Lead or develop in the evaluation, selection, and implementation of new equipment or modifications to existing systems with consideration to new processing technologies or strategies. This may include assessing an economic, environmental, quality, conservation, or productivity impact while generating engineering reports.
- Identify opportunities to improve existing processes, equipment, systems, and infrastructure.
- Directly support operations with troubleshooting and issue resolution with respect to computer and automation systems.
- Lead engineering projects to meet deliverables - technical, budget and schedule goals including managing the work of internal and external resources.
- Identify/Develop project plans and budgets, and then implement the approved modifications, following up to ensure the desired result has been achieved. Document plans and modifications in an appropriate manner. Utilize project management tools such as MS Project, etc.
- Provide off-hours manufacturing support as part of an on-call rotation.
- Develop training plans for staff involved in the use or maintenance of equipment to ensure safe and reliable operation.
- Lead discussions and recommend solutions with key customer groups to gain a consensus on the repair or modification plans.
- Prepare or review operation, safety, and maintenance procedures to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Organize and perform life-cycle maintenance of process controls systems including: software backups, PMs, diagnostics, documentation (SOP/URS/FRS/SDDS), spare parts review, obsolescence planning.
- Capable of owning process systems as a subject matter expert to assist in regulatory audits and investigations.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BS in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or other Technical Degree with 3 - 5 years of experience or AS in Engineering with 10 years of experience.
- Experience working in a regulated GMP environment, preferably in a biopharmaceutical industry
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Proficient with the application and administration of many of the following manufacturing control systems including but not limited to Syncade MES, DeltaV DCS, Allen Bradley PLC, VFD, HMI, building automation systems, servers, industrial communications / LAN, and data historians
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other MS Office suite applications.
- Evidence of leadership and initiative taking is strongly desired
- Industrial experience supporting a manufacturing site's control systems
- Understanding of ERP configuration specifically in the Operations and Quality functional space
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top