Specialist - Process Development Purification Technologies
- Wavre, Belgium
Site Name: Belgium-Rixensart
Posted Date: Sep 25 2020
The Specialist - Process Development Purification Technologies is a Biopharma industry-experienced development person specialized in the Downstream field joining a team of experts focusing on Drug Substance (DS) process development for new vaccine candidates from Phase I up to commercial launch, as well as on Life Cycle activities for process improvements in the commercial vaccine portfolio.
The incumbent will report to the Head of Development, within the Cell and Viral Drug Substance (CVDS) department in Belgium, which is part of the Global Drug Substance organization in Technical R&D (TRD).
• You will be expected to lead autonomously the DSP part of several drug substance development projects in parallel, driving the implementation of latest industry trends and state-of-the-art technologies into current manufacturing processes, identifying and promoting opportunities for improvements aiming for scalable, high efficiency, robust, and cost-effective manufacturing processes with reduced-footprint.
• You will be expected to have strong project management skills and perform timeline and resource planning estimations, design development strategies, plan experimental protocols, lead horizontally a team of technicians and operators to execute them, having a strong presence in the lab to ensure best practices, compliance with documentation practices and EHS standards.
• You will be expected to follow the Quality by Design (QbD) approach to process development, leading multi-disciplinary Technical Risk Assessments and ensuring to meet all documentation deliverables required at each of the project stage gates.
• You will be expected to support the Development Unit Head in bringing the team (both in your own development unit as well as in the others across the department) to the next level in technical knowledge and best practices, proactively promoting initiatives. Most concretely, in implementing automation in chromatography development.
• You will ensure a strong interface and knowledge sharing with, Manufacturing Science and Technology, manufacturing strategy, site management, Process Science, and engineering departments for building-related activities such as revamping, scaling-up or tech transfer to new facilities.
• You will work very closely with the Scale-up team from the development stages to ensure a smooth transition throughout the scales required at the different project phases.
• You will closely collaborate with the In-Process Analytical (IPA) organization to develop IPA strategy and implement IPA testing as a fit for Upstream processes.
• You will build strong relationships and a collaborative network with the DS organizations & colleagues in Italy and the US aimed at increasing sharing and learning, better decision making, stimulating people development and pushing top science & technology throughout the network.
• You will be expected to write and review project reports including process history files, process development reports, etc.
Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry or equivalent with 2 - 3 years' experience or a Master's in Bioengineering, Biochemistry, biotechnology, chemistry or equivalent with 4 to 5 years' experience in Downstream Drug Substance Development and/or Manufacturing (Product and Process Expert) in biopharma/ biotech industry.
- Thorough understanding of vaccine upstream and downstream development and/or manufacturing, with working knowledge on global CMC regulatory requirements for vaccine products.
- Demonstrated expertise in the following is required: chromatography development at small scale in AEX, HIC, MMC, or other / mastering of AKTA Avant/ Pure and Unicorn 7 /Tangential flow filtration development/ Depth filtration development/ Viral clearance/ GMP manufacturing / scale-up and scale-down / technology transfer.
- Experience and capacity to manage the planning and workload of the Lab Technicians will be a key element of this role. This includes coaching, mentoring & aligning. When necessary, possibly give input as to their development.
- Deep understanding of Quality by Design approach and deliverables.
- Sound scientific methodology, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive, take initiative, and lead autonomously.
- Fluent in English. French and/or other languages a plus.
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics it would be a plus:
- Expertise in High throughput development/ HTPD plates/ Robocolumns / Design of Experiments (DoE).
- Ideally 3 - 5 years or more experience in Vaccines Drug Substance development and/or manufacturing (Product & Process Expert or similar), particularly in Mammalian Cell cultures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legacy, current-gen and next-gen vaccine manufacturing technologies.
- Strong understanding of clinical and commercial Manufacturing processes and Manufacturing constraints.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of process industrialization methods.
- Strong understanding of industry trends.
- Understanding in continuous manufacturing, Systems Biology (-omics), big data, multivariate analysis, predictive analytics and modelling approaches.
- Interpersonal and influencing skills to engage different stakeholders inside and outside the Technical RD organization.
- Ability to work in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to embrace changes positively and to adapt.
- Imprinted with a desire for excellence.
- Optimistic and open-minded.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork in a culture of Innovation, Performance and Trust.
GSK Vaccines- Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com .
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
The Drug Substance Unit:
The TRD Drug Substance organization, develops efficacious, safe and effective vaccine drug substance (antigen bulk) processes from small scale to commercial manufacturing scale. The Drug Substance reports into the Technical RD organization within Vaccines R&D . Through our activities & competencies, we generate the following:
• Information & knowledge that supports & enables to file and register new vaccines (antigen bulk manufacturing).
• Manufacturing processes & control strategies that are transferred to the clinical and commercial manufacturing organizations.
• Pilot-scale materials for non-clinical purposes (toxicology studies, stability studies, scale-down models, process reproducibility and robustness evaluation).
• Critical support to technical Life Cycle projects aimed at remediation, continuous process improvement, reliable supply and capacity increase to maintain existing assets at a competitive edge.
• Expert understanding of established and emerging bio-manufacturing platforms down to the cellular and molecular level applying QbD approaches to engineer robust and cost-effective processes.
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another and know their work makes an important contribution.
We provide a supportive working environment and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
If you have a disability and require assistance during the course of the selection process, you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require in order to make suitable arrangements.
Our goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We believe that we all bring something unique to GSK and when we combine our knowledge, experiences and styles together, the impact is incredible. Come join our adventure at GSK where you will be inspired to do your best work for our patients and consumers. A place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top