Site Name: UK - London, UK - London - Brentford
Posted Date: Apr 27 2021
Senior Software Engineer, AI/ML Production
Location: Central London
At GlaxoSmithKline we have created a world-leading data and computational environment to enable large scale scientific experiments that exploit GSK's unique access to data. Our focus is on bringing data, analytics & science together into solutions for our scientists to develop medicines for patients.
We are seeking to grow our team with brilliant and diverse contributors with technical ability. We are looking for experienced software engineers that want to be part of a team that discovers new medicines. The role of Senior Software Engineer, AI/ML Production is an exciting opportunity that will stretch your knowledge and curiosity, offering the opportunity to learn new skills and work within a global community.
This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold. Our mission on the this team is to provide deep computing expertise, automated workflows, production-grade infrastructure, and helpful tooling to enable the AI/ML team and our partners to solve cutting-edge research problems in the pharma space and translate their solutions into direct impact on the business and on patients. The Senior Software Engineer, AIML Production function embeds directly with AI/ML drug discovery project teams doing cutting-edge work, serving as the voice of expertise in software engineering, scientific computing at scale, and expert problem-solving.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career.
- Embed with AI/ML and data science project teams to provide deep expertise in software engineering, parallel computing, and big data tools.
- Drive and teach standards for code, tool use, engineering best practices, etc.
- Help to guide the AI/ML Embedded Engineering team's efforts based on first-hand experience on projects, design, and drive implementation of new tools that improve scientific projects performance and productionisation .
- Introduce new third-party tools that facilitate software development and machine learning to a team composed of scientists, researchers, data scientists and software engineers and help drive their adoption.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Significant experience with professional software development practices such as code standards, code reviews, source control best practices, etc.
- Expert understanding of Python
- Experience with some big data and orchestration tools: Spark, Celery, Kafka, Airflow
- Experience with high performance computing infrastructure
- Debugging and error handling intuitions at all levels: ML frameworks, Python and OS.
- Interest in optimizing and profiling code.
- Fluency in at least one mainstream IDE ( e.g. VSCode / PyCharm)
- Advanced Degree (Pure Mathematics or Engineering, Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry or related quantitative field)
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework such as TensorFlow, Keras , or PyTorch , including parallelism
- Exposure to job scheduling systems such as Slurm , YARN, or Kubernetes
- Interest in drug discovery problems
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.