Senior Scientist, Recombinant Protein Reagent Generation
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jun 19 2020
An opportunity has risen for a highly motivated and creative scientist to join a protein sciences group in the department of Protein, Cellular, and Structural Sciences at GSK's facility in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. The primary responsibility of the department is to design, generate and validate biological reagents for discovery activities across all of GSK's therapeutic modalities. The department also provides the structural and mechanistic understanding of drug target, molecular recognition and mode of action to deliver the best molecule.
This is a laboratory role in which the individual's primary responsibility is to design and deliver custom protein reagents to fill the needs of uHTS assays, protein structural determination, and biophysical studies in preclinical drug discovery. The individual will be responsible for developing automated protein expression and purification methods as well as assisting with the expression of complex proteins. The ideal candidate for this role will have skills in protein expression/analysis and experience in both bacterial and mammalian expression systems. Experience carrying out automated methods for protein expression and purification would be desirable. The appointee will be capable of good experimental record-keeping and will have excellent written and oral communication skills. He/she will be expected to attend project meetings and contribute to project teams in a collaborative manner. An ability to work towards agreed timelines and effectively organize their work will be considered a key asset of the successful applicant.
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor of Science with 3 + years of pharmaceutical industry experience or
- Master's degree with 1 + years in a life sciences discipline (e.g. molecular biology, biochemistry) is required.
- Laboratory experience in molecular biology, construct generation and recombinant protein expression.
- Experience with multiple expression systems- E. coli and mammalian
- Experience in standard protein characterization/analytical methods such as SDS-PAGE/ Western blotting.
- US Work authorization is required. Sponsorship not available.
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience with automated liquid handlers including programming, scripting, running biological samples and basic maintenance, e.g. Tecan.
- Experiences in high throughput small scale expression as well as scale-up expression
- Practical knowledge in high throughput cloning and sequencing analysis
- Practical knowledge in protein QC using biophysical instruments.
- Ability to plan, execute and evaluate multiple scientific strategies in parallel where appropriate.
- Experience with data-set handling software such as Excel
- Good record keeping skills, flexibility and team work.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Please use the cover letter to highlight how you meet the competencies for the role. Your cover letter along with your CV will be used to assess your application. Thanks for your interest in this opportunity.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top