Senior Scientist, Neuroscience
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Feb 2 2021
The Scientists in the Novel Human Genetics Research Unit support the design and execution of scientific studies for the delivery of new medicines to treat neurodegenerative disorders including Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, and ALS. We require a scientist to employ cell models and genetic and chemical tools to identify new drug targets and to drive a drug discovery strategy.
This position will be laboratory based. The successful candidate will focus on early stage discovery research and have an opportunity to grow into drug discovery and biomarker assay development by learning through experience for career advancement. This role is ideal for an scientist who is eager to learn and be proficient in basic molecular biology, signaling cascades and the development and implementation of cell-based models or chemical biology methods to study neurodegeneration.
Desirable experience includes culturing of iPSC derived neurons, astrocytes and co-cultures; primary rodent neuron cultures; viral expression of transgenes; protein/protein interactions; and employing new chemical biology methods in vitro to study molecular interactomes.
- Establish and validate in vitro cellular models of neurodegeneration and neuroinflammation using human iPSC-derived and/or primary rodent neuronal co-cultures
- Define, design, and perform experiments using in vitro cellular models to evaluate molecules and or genetic manipulation (e.g., CRISPR, shRNA) to validate drug discovery targets and/or progress lead optimization projects
- Conduct cellular experiments characterizing effects with an array of in vitro techniques that may include immunoassays, omics profiling, gene editing, viral induction, cellular phenotyping.
- Execute laboratory experiments, conduct statistically supported data analysis, and deliver high-quality results in a timely manner to enable informed decision making
- Clearly communicate study results and impact in written form and at internal and external meetings.
- Commit to continual improvement by reading and applying the latest scientific literature, methodologies and technologies.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSK's values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Master of Science (Biology, Neuroscience, or related field) with 5 years of relevant research or Ph.D.
- Prior working experience with neurodegenerative diseases (e.g., Alzheimer's disease, ALS, Parkinson's disease).
- Experience with cell and molecular biology technical capabilities including in vitro neuronal culture, neuroinflammation, and/or innate immune cellular models
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Functional assay development interrogating defects in endocytosis, lysosomal and mitochondrial function
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
About NHG RU: The Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG RU) was formed in 2019 to identify and advance novel targets with genetic association to disease based on the foundational observation that targets with human genetic evidence supporting their causal role in the intended indication improves clinical success by two-fold. The NHG RU is therapeutically broad and complements other research units with strategic focus in immunology and oncology. The current portfolio includes projects focused on neurological diseases, including Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, ALS, Pain, in addition to metabolic diseases. The mandate of NHG RU is to identify novel targets based on human genetics, develop assets for clinical studies, and perform Phase 1 first time in human and proof of mechanism studies in clinic. This goal is enabled through strategic external (23andMe, UK Biobank, FinnGen, Laboratory of Genomic Research, Public-Private Consortia) and GSK-internal partnerships (Functional Genomics, AI/ML, and Medicinal Science and Technologies).
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top