Senior Scientist - Infectious Disease
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jul 15 2020
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to work on new treatments to address the threat of infectious diseases by joining our growing Medicine Opportunities Research Unit (RU) focused on Infectious Diseases at Upper Providence, PA. The Medicine Opportunities Research Unit is one of the 4 Research Units in the R&D organization at GSK and is responsible for the discovery of novel approaches & targets to treat infectious diseases that threaten our health and progressing them to clinical proof of concept studies. The Research Unit has an impactful portfolio of projects in hepatitis B, bacterial infections and viral respiratory infections (including COVID-19) along with collaborations with Vir Biotechnology and 23&Me.
You would be responsible for conducting molecular biology experiments to progress drug discovery projects targeting HBV and other potential viral targets. Particular areas of focus will be in establishing complex in vitro models such as cell painting, primary hepatocyte cell culture and other innovative approaches in the pursuit of a functional cure for HBV. The successful candidate will be science driven, familiar with most cell and molecular biology techniques and instrumentation, one who assume personal accountability and keen to learn through experience to advance in their career.
- Design, and perform experiments using in vitro cellular models to evaluate molecules and or genetic modifiers (e.g., CRISPR, siRNA) to validate drug discovery targets and/or progress lead optimization projects
- Conduct pharmacological studies characterizing effects with an array of in vitro techniques that may include immunoassays (ELISA, MSD), TaqMan, high-content cell imaging, confocal microscopy, and RNAseq, among others
- Independently execute laboratory experiments, conduct statistically supported data analysis, and deliver results in a timely manner to enable informed decision making
- Clearly communicate study results and impact in written form and at internal and external meetings.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSKs values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity
- Define, design, and execute experiments
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Master of Science degree (virology or immunology) with 3 to 5 years of relevant research experience or a Bachelor's degree with 5 to 7 years of lab experience.
- Prior experience working with primary cell cultures and technical experience with cellular/molecular biology and immunology assays (e.g. qRT-PCR, PCR, ELISA, RNA/DNA transfection, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry).
- Strong work ethic with desire to carry out independent hypothesis generation and testing
- The candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter, with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work effectively individually and in team and matrix environments
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- 2 to 3 years pharmaceutical or biotechnology experience working in a matrixed drug discovery project teams
- Previous in vivo experience with small animal handling and dosing paradigms
- Previous experience with in vitro viral infection of cell cultures
- Demonstrated experience:
- Complex in vitro cell models
- 3-D cell culture
- Using high-content imaging to characterize intracellular events
- Utilizing genetic modifiers (e.g. siRNA) and/ or genomic-scale gene expression and data analysis techniques
- Experience with liquid handling instruments (e.g. BRAVO or BioMek)
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top