- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Oct 5 2020
Are you interested in the opportunity to learn and employ cellular models, evaluate drug targets using gene editing and pharmacological tools, and support drug discovery programs? The Senior Scientist in Novel Human Genetics-Neuroscience will support a team in the design and execution of scientific studies for the delivery of novel medicines to treat neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and ALS.
The successful candidate will be inquisitive, eager to learn new methodologies and concepts, and enjoys doing experiments. This is a lab based role with responsibilities to conduct in vitro and ex vivo experiments in preclinical drug discovery projects using cell lines, rodent brain primary cells as well as human iPSC-derived neurons, astrocytes, and microglia. Familiarity and experience with basic cell culture, imaging, biochemical techniques, data analysis using graphical software's is required. The successful candidate will be science driven, and the one who assumes personal accountability, and keen to learn through experience to advance in their career.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Support to establish and validate in vitro cellular models of neurodegeneration and neuroinflammation using human iPSC-derived and/or primary rodent neuronal co-cultures
- Perform experiments using in vitro cellular models to evaluate molecules and/or genetic modifiers (e.g., CRISPR, shRNA) to validate drug discovery targets and/or progress lead optimization projects
- Conduct experiments according to the guidance using in vitro techniques that may include immunoassays (ELISA, MSD, Quanterix), TaqMan, high-content cell imaging (OperaPhenix), Seahorse, mass spectrometry, confocal microscopy, and RNAseq, among others
- Responsible for quality study execution, data analysis, result interpretation and reporting.
- Clearly document study details, results and conclusions in lab notebooks, and communicate in internal meetings.
- Work collaboratively in matrix team
- Commit to continual improvement by reading and applying the latest scientific literature, methodologies and technologies.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSK's values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity
Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Master of Science degree (Biology, Biotechnology, Neuroscience, Physiology, or related field) with 1-2 years OR Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of relevant research experience
- Basic cell and molecular biology technical capabilities including prior experience establishing/utilizing in vitro neuronal culture, neuroinflammation, and/or innate immune cellular models
- Basic knowledge and some prior work experience in neurobiology and/or neurodegenerative diseases (e.g., Alzheimer's disease, ALS, Parkinson's disease).
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- 2+ years pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry research experience working in matrixed drug discovery project teams
- Experience in culturing iPS cells including differentiation into neurons, microglia, and astrocytes
- Experience with basic biochemical techniques
- Experience developing cell-based assays
- Experience with high-content imaging
- Experience with gene editing and in vitro pharmacology studies
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top