Senior Packaging Scientist
- Warren, NJ
Site Name: Richmond Sherwood, USA - New Jersey - Warren
Posted Date: Oct 13 2020
We are seeking an experienced Sr. Packaging Scientist with significant experience in developing and commercialize new packaging innovation projects within our Americas and Global Wellness Packaging team. This position can be located at either our Warren, NJ or Richmond VA locations.
This is a new role within our Americas and Wellness packaging team. In this role, you will be responsible leading all aspects of the packaging development process ranging from concept generation to commercialization of new and/or modified packaging components; including primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components.
You will work cross functionally within project teams and business partners to ensure that consumer relevant packaging solutions are developed in alignment with the commercial brand strategy and supply chain network strategy. Typical projects may include the development new packaging components, medical devices, cost optimization projects and improvements in package sustainability.
You will have the opportunity to lead packaging develop and innovation projects for well-known brands like: Advil, Benefiber, Centrum, Chapstick, Emergen-C, Flonase and others.
Within your project teams, you will be seen as a packaging expert. Candor and Direct Talk are valued and expected within this role; as are having strong sense of project ownership, a 'can do' attitude and the ability to influence across the organization.
While this role is part of our Americas and Global Wellness team, you will also be part of our Global R&D Packaging Team. Within this larger global team, you will have ample opportunity to not only connect with the Global Packaging Leadership team but to also connect and work with your global peers on an as needed basis.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities and initiatives to progress YOUR career within the Oral Care and Global Packaging Teams. Key responsibilities/requirements for this position include:
- Own all aspects of the development and commercialization of new packaging innovation projects.
- Be involved early. Assist in the development of new packaging initiatives at the concept stage. Work within the wider GSK CH network to drive for consumer insights.
- Utilize consumer insights and unmet needs as a basis for all projects. Ensure the consumer is at the heart of all we do.
- Identify, develop, test and commercialize new and modified packaging components that support both the business needs and the consumer propositions. Including primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components.
- Represent R&D packaging within key project teams. Manage and be accountable for project time lines, deliverables, budget and cross functional team needs. Ensure that your projects are in alignment with commercial, procurement and global supply chain strategies.
- Work with the supplier network to identify, develop, test and source packaging solutions that not only meet packaging innovation requirements, but also sustainability and recyclability requirements as well.
- Manage all aspects of the R&D packaging development process utilizing GSK CH's End to End (E2E) process.
- Write specifications, reports, protocols and test methods that meet GSK CH standards of the global packaging documentation system.
- Be a technical packaging expert. Ensure technical knowledge, expertise on material science and packaging/assembly/conversion technologies are successfully transferred within GSK's global packaging teams.
- Be a global expert in packaging innovation trends and consumer understanding:
- Identify and follow external packaging trends as related to the Americas and Wellness category and packaging formats.
- Lead competitive packaging trend reviews. Understand competitive and supplier patent landscape.
- Attend industry conferences, trade shows and supplier events. If needed, present at leading conference to promote GSK's packaging innovation efforts.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to influence internal and external project team members.
- Hold self accountable to deliver projects and leadership expectations under tight timings. Have a "Right the First Time" approach to projects.
- Be your true self. Utilize past experiences to help drive projects, packaging and other initiatives forward. Be willing to be a change leader.
- Be a hands-on project leader with the ability to influence future brand packaging strategies.
- Be comfortable working with minimal supervision.
- Support the Global R&D Packaging Team.
- Work within the Global R&D Packaging team to continue to build the role of packaging within the company. Support the development of and implementation of new global packaging ways of working and best practices. Have access to global R&D packaging leaders.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Packaging, Chemical or Mechanical), or material science
- 7+ years of Technical Packaging Development experience in a R&D environment.
- Experience delivering packaging projects utilizing an E2E R&D Packaging Development Process for various product formats (syrups, solids, powders, semi-solids, suspensions, solutions etc.) and packaging technologies.
- Experience with pharmaceutical regulations (EMEA, FDA) affecting development of packaging.
- Experienced with packaging validation techniques and procedures.
- Experience with IT initiatives (e.g. Global Packaging Specification Database, Packaging catalogue, LCA analysis, etc.).
- Master's degree in engineering (packaging, chemical, mechanical) or material science with 5+ years of relevant R&D Packaging experience.
- Continually develop knowledge in new areas of packaging to improve efficiency in assigned projects
- Experience converting consumer ideas and unmet needs into production ready packaging components (primary, secondary and tertiary)
- Have a high degree of project ownership. Proven ability to manage and deliver multiple projects with low level of guidance required.
- Strong communicator in both written and verbal communications
- Awareness of external e-Commerce, digital and sustainability trends and capabilities.
- Have an awareness of new packaging trends, manufacturing methods, packaging conversion techniques and assembly methods, supplier capabilities and competitor packaging technologies and product launches.
- Bilingual - English and Spanish/ Portuguese
- .Experience working within a FMCG company in a matrixed organization.
- Experience using strong technical packaging skills; with a key focus on delivering projects on time, on budget, while ensuring compliance with all local, national and global rules and regulations.
- Experience working with cross functional team members, external suppliers and manufacturing locations under accelerated time lines.
- Experience liaising early with Manufacturing, Logistics, R&D, QA, RA and Procurement to shorten project development time, while ensuring a smooth and robust product launch.
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top