Senior Manager - Head Drug Substance Antigen Expression Technologies & Early Development (Belgium)
- Wavre, Belgium
Site Name: Belgium-Rixensart
Posted Date: Oct 21 2020
The Senior Manager - Head Drug Substance Antigen Expression Technologies & Early Development within our Drug Substance (DS) Team Belgium in Technical R&D (TRD) unit will provide strong leadership of a team of highly skilled scientists and experts in early product and process development. Within the Technical R&D (TRD) organization the Antigen Expression Technologies & Early Development team will build early-on the processes, tools, knowledge and engagement with the global Drug Substance organization (and other functional areas in TRD) to enable effortless Phase I product and process development in line with the expectations of the business.
In the scope of work, the Antigen Expression Technologies & Early Development team, will closely work at the interface with the DPU and Preclinical R&D Belgium organizations to start early development projects and hit-the-ground-running on-boarding of DS projects for acceleration of phase I product and process development without compromising future quality, cost-efficiency or market capture. The Senior Manager - Head of Antigen Expression Technologies & Early Development will collaborate seamlessly with Preclinical R&D teams, to perform develop-ability and manufacture-ability assessment for Preclinical antigen candidates, enabling end-to-end Quality-by-Design (QbD) and preparing for Commit to Candidate (C2C) stage gate transition.
The Senior Manager - Head Drug Substance Antigen Expression Technologies & Early Development, Drug Substance (DS) Belgium will directly report to the global Drug Substance Head.
- You will develop your team and organization towards excellence in early CMC development and as such help enable Drug Substance and the overall TRD organization to decrease time-to-market, improve profitability and increase product and process robustness.
- The activities of your team will predominantly aim to deliver robust, and for key assets, accelerated Phase I product and process development while building the foundations for end-to-end project success from Phase I up to and including launch and life cycle.
- Your team will work at the interface with Preclinical R&D to support antigen design and selection ensuring processability of a vaccine candidate ( develope-ability and manufacture-ability ) approaching C2C stage gate.
- You and your team will be accountable for the development of the final expression system.
- In collaboration with the Preclinical R&D organization and with the Drug Substance Development Units, your team will develop and evaluate a robust new systems for the optimal expression and delivery of target antigens.
- Your team will build state-of-the-art tools, approaches and processes for Procaryotic up to higher Eukaryotic expression systems and early bio-process development.
- Your team will work in close collaboration with the MDS In-Process Analytics and TRD Analytical R&D teams in order to ensure that the appropriate analytical tools supporting early development are available and used in due time.
- Your team will strongly interconnect with the TRD Program Head, the DPU and Preclinical organizations at the local Research & Development Center (RDC), yet pull in upon need the broader TRD and Global Industrial Operations (GIO)/Manufacturing Science & Technology (MSAT) networks to build in value from the beginning.
- Together with your peers in the Drug Substance network, you will allocate and prioritize resources (people, equipment, budget) according to project priorities.
- You will build a top team of dedicated and high-performing people and develop talents to build the future of the organization.
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- You have at minimum a Masters degree in Bio-Engineering, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry or Equivalent.
- You have strong leadership skills and previous people management & development skills (you will have at least 4 to 10 direct reports).
- You have minimum 7 years experience in Biopharmaceuticals, Vaccines or Biotechnological development.
- You have in-depth understanding of Protein Engineering and Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Molecular Biology & Gene Expression.
- You have hands-on experience with Prokaryotic and higher Eukaryotic Expression Systems and cell culture / fermentation and purification process development.
- You are familiar with state-of-the-art bioinformatics, high-throughput and automation technologies for molecular biology and expression systems development.
- You consistently apply sound scientific methodology, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- You have strong communication and influencing skills.
- You have the ability to provide clarity and to trigger decisions in complex situations.
- You are known for your positive and optimistic attitude.
- You are proficient in written and spoken English and other languages will be a plus.
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Ideally you have a PhD in Biotechnology, Systems Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemical Engineering or equivalent.
- You have ideally 10 years experience in Bio-pharmaceuticals, Vaccines or Biotechnological development.
- Ideally, you have 5 years experience in bio-process development (upstream and/or downstream).
- You have an in-depth understanding of discovery and Pre-clinical development workflows.
- You have a broad understanding of the 360° aspects of Bio-pharmaceutical and/or Vaccines Development.
- Ideally, you have a thorough understanding of Virology, Systems Biology and Synthetic Biology.
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork in a culture of Innovation, Performance and Trust.
GSK Vaccines- Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com .
Our Department Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another, and know their work makes an important contribution.
We provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
If you have a disability and require assistance during the course of the selection process, you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require in order to make suitable arrangements.
Our goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We believe that we all bring something unique to GSK and when we combine our knowledge, experiences and styles together, the impact is incredible. Come join our adventure at GSK where you will be inspired to do your best work for our patients and consumers. A place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Back to top