Site Name: Belgium-Rixensart
Posted Date: Jul 20 2020
Senior Manager Data Science
Are you interested in making significant contributions and Global impact by integrating and analyzing complex, high dimensional data sets while coaching and mentoring Data Scientists for the industry leader ? Are you excited about opportunities to extract biological knowledge from data and use it in Vaccines R&D projects? If so, GSK's Data Science and Digital Innovation team is looking for a Senior Manager Data Scientist and this role could be an ideal opportunity to explore.
As a Senior Manager Data Scientist, you will have the opportunity to ensure that data analytics and bioinformatics deliverables for a portfolio of Vaccines R&D projects are at the top of industry standards with respect to scientific excellence, quality and timelines.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key projects to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Overseeing and coordinating Data Science and Digital Innovation (DSDI) activities on multiple Vaccines R&D projects in partnership with Project teams and Pre-clinical laboratories
- Contribute to define the Personalized Vaccinology scientific strategy, processes and objectives in alignment with the GSK Vaccines R&D strategy.
- Coach and mentor a local team of Data Scientists acting as reference for one R&D Center or specific business areas in Vaccines R&D.
- Perform and lead up to four PhD students / post-docs for:
- Bioinformatics/data analytics activities for Vaccines R&D; data and knowledge integration for hypothesis generation; data modeling for innovative immunological assays, high-dimensional readouts and human and microbial genomics;
- development of tailored systems and analytical models for explorative analytics of pre-clinical, clinical, and epidemiological data; development of analysis pipelines using combinations of heterogeneous, high dimensional datasets and tools;
- advise on study design, readout selection and data formats, data analysis strategies;
- Preparation and publication of scientific papers and congress reports.
- Support the Head of Personalized Vaccinology on the people management of the local staff and coaching/mentoring of other data scientists.
- Foster innovation within DSDI and keep abreast of the new and most recent developments and innovations in the fields relevant for the role.
- Communicate Personalized Vaccinology activities, results, and principles to internal stakeholders and scientific community, translating complex solutions into simple, understandable and effective messages.
- Lead or coordinate scientific interactions with multiple partners or international collaborations outside GSK Vaccines.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Data and Computer Sciences, Complex Systems, Mathematics and Physics, Chemical or Biological and Systems Engineering, Bioinformatics, immunogenomics, systems immunology, Computational Biology or equivalent.
- Eight years of relevant scientific experience
- Demonstrated strong proficiency / publication record in one or more of the following areas:
- bio-informatics and genomics (including single cell genomics) applied to immunological questions and/or vaccinology
- systems immunology, vaccinology and immuno-genomics
- data mining and machine learning, multivariate biomarkers discovery and validation for patient stratification
- data modeling for individual and integrated analysis of innovative immune assays (e.g high dimensional flow cytometry, systems serology), high-dimensional readouts
- computational and molecular epidemiology
- Strong programming (R and Python), data analytics and modeling skills
- Knowledge of deep learning and awareness of its applications in biology
- Strong Leadership skills in a scientifically oriented environment
- Good line management skills
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Strong communication skills, ability to simplify complex problems and communicate complex solutions in a simple and effective manner
- Strong networking skills and fluent interactions with one or more scientific communities
- Ability to influence performance in a matrix organization through negotiation and communication
- Experienced in leading innovative cross-functional initiatives from inception through to completion involving both multi-disciplinary and geographically remote partners
If you have the following characteristics it would be a plus:
- Four years of direct/matrix people management and international leadership responsibilities (e.g. principal investigator for international R&D projects in relevant areas)
- Proactive, teamwork spirit, motivated, resilient and focused
- Proven capacity to use the theoretical background and education to solve actual problems of R&D projects working and leading small teams in cross-functional setting.
- Good understanding of the Vaccines or Pharmaceutical industry
- French and Italian language(s) a plus
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork in a culture of Innovation, Performance and Trust.
GSK Vaccines - Our Vaccines business has a broad portfolio and innovative pipeline of vaccines to protect people of all ages. We deliver over two million vaccine doses per day to people living in over 160 countries.
For further information, please visit www.gsk.com .
Patient-focused Research and Development (R&D) is the heart of our business. Our R&D department seeks to discover and develop new vaccines, to protect against diseases where vaccines are not yet available and to improve on those vaccines that already exist. Part of our R&D programme targets diseases particularly prevalent in the developing world, including the World Health Organisation's three priority diseases - HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. Research into candidate vaccines for other diseases of the developing world, such as dengue are at an earlier stage of development.
When it comes to developing the vaccines of the future, we're looking for real experts in their respective fields who are interested in working in the stimulating environment of an international healthcare company.
We emphasise the value of teamwork and we look for people ready to share our values of transparency, respect, integrity and patient focus.
At GSK we value diversity and treat all candidates equally. We aim to create an inclusive workplace where all employees feel engaged, supportive of one another, and know their work makes an important contribution.
We provide a supportive working environment, and a range of development challenges and opportunities. We also offer competitive benefits and compensation packages designed to attract and to retain the very best.
If you have a disability and require assistance during the course of the selection process, you will have the opportunity to let us know what specific assistance you require in order to make suitable arrangements.
Our goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. We believe that we all bring something unique to GSK and when we combine our knowledge, experiences and styles together, the impact is incredible. Come join our adventure at GSK where you will be inspired to do your best work for our patients and consumers. A place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.