Site Name: UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, UK - London - Brentford, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Nov 4 2019
Are you highly self-motivated, forward-thinking and like to explore new ways of applying existing and new technologies to solve Business problems ? Do you understand the importance of prioritizing according to business value and can communicate with stakeholders ? Do you have an interest in applying modern technology to GSKs Clinical Trials, to enable GSK to derive greater insights, reduce risk and optimize cost and timelines ? If so, this is the role for you.
This role contributes within and across product teams for the technical solution design, implementation & continuous improvement of R&D Tech systems in alignment with agile and DevOps principles, working closely with Architecture Director, Product Owners, Facilitators and Product Directors.
The Engineer is a "T-Shaped" role demonstrating both depth and breadth across key engineer competencies e.g. Software Development, Testing, DevOps, Data Science/Analytics, Lifecycle Management, etc. and the ability to successfully collaborate with experts from other subject domains.
The Sr. Engineer will have proven experience in applying ML/AI, data curation, virtualization, predictive modelling, workflow and advanced visualization techniques to enable decision support across multiple products and assets to drive results in our clinical operations business.
GSK R&D is led by science. Science is driving an ever-increasing variance and complexity of Clinical Research, and its related approaches to trial design, investigator and site engagement, and associated trial operations. This presents great opportunity for Tech enablement via investments in modern platform technologies and Digital applications, across GSKs Pharma and Vaccines organisations.
The R&D Tech Sr. Engineer role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include the following:
- The continuous delivery and innovation of technology solutions from product roadmaps adopting agile and DevOps principles.
- Ensures that technical delivery is fully compliant with GSK Security, Quality and Regulatory standards
- Ensures use of relevant R&D Tech / central services and collaborating with service partners in identification and delivery of service improvements
- Supports Product Owners and product teams to deliver value continuously, fostering and maintaining close links with customers, related Solution groups e.g. Established Products and Core Tech
- Ensures continuity of business execution i.e. operational support for relevant applications
- Proactively develops and delivers continuous improvement/simplification of Product portfolio to enhance user productivity, increase system reliability and reduce the total cost of ownership
- Keeps relevant technical documentation up to date in support of the lifecycle plan for audits/reviews.
- Pro-actively engages in experimentation and innovation to drive relentless improvement e.g. to UX/DQ/DI and reducing technical debt/risk
- Provides leadership, technical direction and GSK expertise to product teams composed of GSK FTEs, strategic partners and software vendors
- Line Management of up to 10 staff and indirect management of up to 20 3rd party resources
- Contributes to release planning and roadmaps working closely with Product Owners and Product Director
- Contributes and aligns solutions to the Target Architecture working closely with Enterprise Architecture team
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals :
Computer Science or related bachelor's degree
- Computer Science or related bachelor's degree
- 1-5 years experience in an engineer role.
- Proficient with and can demonstrate knowledge and value with relevant experience in at least 3 of the following competencies:
- Software development, architecture design (e.g. SOA) & technology platforms/frameworks
- Agile, DevOps & Automation [of testing, build, deployment, CI/CD, etc.]
- Data science (e.g. AI/ML), data analytics & data quality/integrity
- Testing strategies & frameworks
- Lifecycle/service management, business continuity
- Role requires:
- Track record of development and delivery of flexible, scalable and supportable IT systems
- Demonstrated skill in delivering solutions that integrate commercial of-the-shelf products
- Knowledge of industry standards and technology platforms aligned to GSK and R&D roadmaps
- Excellent communication, negotiation, influencing and stakeholder management skills
- Customer focus and excellent problem-solving skills
I f you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in agile development and DevOps & ITIL, relevant technology platforms [e.g. Kubernetes] and frameworks [e.g. Docker] including cloud technologies & data structures (i.e. information management), data models or relational database design
- Subject matter expertise with relevant business process
- R&D Tech require Engineers with understanding of the relevant technical and scientific domains. Able to deliver continuous change to meet rapidly evolving R&D strategy and ambition.
- Trained on Audit review, Regulatory (GxP) standards & Privileged Access Management
- Experience with agile development methods, with security strategies and best practices, data integration mechanisms, architectural design tools, delivering and integrating COTS applications, areas of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Application Integration, Business Process Management and Data Quality.
- Is a subject matter expert in at least one scientific domain (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Clinical, etc)
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top