Senior Director and Group Leader, Innate Immunity Research Unit
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Apr 13 2020
We are seeking a senior, established immunologist for a Group Leader role within the Innate Immunity Research Unit (iiRU). The successful candidate will have a track record of project and people leadership experience within the pharmaceutical/biotech industry. Your deep knowledge of immunology and drug discovery will allow you to contribute to strategic decisions effecting the progress of multiple preclinical projects moving towards clinical development.
This role will provide/gives YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Manage a multidisciplinary scientific biology team supporting diverse activities within the iiRU ranging from target identification and validation through to clinical candidate selection.
- Ensure effective people management and data quality
- Prioritize activities and manage biology resources to ensure robust progress toward, and achievement of, iiRU objectives.
- Oversee a portfolio of projects from target identification through to clinical candidate selection
- Manage and mentor a group of senior and junior scientists
- Influence and help set the strategic direction and goals of the research unit
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- 10+ years of supervisory experience of a scientific team in pharmaceutical and/or biotech drug discovery
- Demonstrated expertise in immunology, or field relevant to immunology/inflammation drug discovery, strongly supported by publications, patents, and training (including PhD in immunology or a field relevant to immunology/inflammation)
- Ability to establish/lead high calibre biology teams both internally and externally to support drug discovery programs
- Successful management of 10+ scientists, including PhD level scientists
- Ability to manage and mentor a group of scientists to foster a culture of innovation, teamwork, performance and trust
- Demonstrated capability to lead a team with a breadth of skills, including biochemistry, gene editing, molecular and cellular signalling, and in vivo/ex vivo translational studies, in their daily activities to focus on critical path activities of the research projects
- Ability to communicate and share information/knowledge clearly and effectively
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Subject matter expert in innate immunology
- Strong understanding of drug discovery processes, including small/large molecule development.
- Management of director level team members is desirable
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritisation, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organisational transformation.
- Building a resilient organisation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organisation and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top