Senior Development Scientist, Allergy
- Richmond, VA
Site Name: Richmond Sherwood
Posted Date: Jun 29 2020
As a Senior Development Scientist on the global Allergy Category team, you will support research and development for innovation programs to address consumer unmet needs in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. As a formulation development expert, you will lead new product development through all stages of the development process from product concept to launch. As a project leader, you will work in close collaboration with your Marketing and R&D partners to define a project strategy and deliver growth to the Allergy pipeline. The ideal candidate will have formulation development experience in liquids, topicals, and intranasal delivery as well as possess medical device expertise.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Manages and contributes to two or more projects in support of the Allergy Innovation strategy.
- Designs experiments and exercises a wide degree of technical sophistication in accomplishing assigned objectives.
- Creates research plans to fit overall project objectives.
- Maintains quality and safety responsibilities for department and site (e.g. GMP, Audits, Health & Safety).
- Authors quality and safety related documents and standard operating procedures.
- Ensures all work is conducted in accordance with written procedures.
- Complies with EHS standards and expectations on site and within the laboratories.
- Collaborates with 3rd parties to partner on product research and development.
- Maintains awareness of current scientific literature and state-of-the-art technology to assist work progression and product understanding.
- Highlights own training needs and working with manager develop a training plan and achieve training goals.
- Trains self and others in new technology and laboratory responsibilities (including coaching, mentoring and elements of personal development).
- Develops knowledge of regulatory environments in key markets and maintains awareness of guidelines impacting areas of research and development.
- Builds relationships within cross-functional team members to deliver innovation programs.
Consumer and Customer-Obsessed
- Participates in consumer engagement research to understand the Allergy category and consumer unmet needs.
- Collaborates with Consumer Understanding and Sensory scientists to contribute to the development of consumer-driven innovation.
- Authors precise experimental records; issues development reports at project milestones; writes invention records to protect scientific discoveries and intellectual property.
- Ensures all work is conducted following good scientific practices and GMPs.
- Leverages data and scientific evidence to support product concepts, drive product development, make decisions, and substantiate product claims.
- Flexes priorities to remain focused on objectives in rapidly changing circumstances.
- Utilizes problem solving skills to overcome challenges.
- Utilizes a learning oriented, iterative approach to product development.
Why You? Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, pharmaceuticals, nutrition, or related science with 7+ years formulation/ product development experience
- OR 4+ years of experience with Master's OR 2+ years of experience with PhD
- Demonstration of successful formulation and/or product development in areas including: liquids, semi-solids, suspensions, medical devices, and topical nasal sprays.
- Experience with R&D development processes and associated commercial environment.
- Experience organizing and report study data from internal and external sources.
- Experience with statistics and its application to experimental work.
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in chemistry, pharmaceuticals, nutrition, or related science
- Flair for creativity and innovation
- Clear communicator in both oral and written form with both internal departments and external organizations.
- Demonstrates ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work effectively in teams, and manage multiple projects/priorities.
- Ability to apply scientific principles and techniques to assigned projects.
- Ability to translate consumer needs into product development.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top