Senior Data Scientist
- Brentford, United Kingdom
Site Name: UK - London - Brentford
Posted Date: Jun 25 2020
Senior Data Scientist
This is an exciting opportunity to passionate team working to support GSK Consumer Healthcare in its journey to becoming a more data driven and innovative organisation.
Data is a key tenet underpinning our transformation journey following the joint venture with Pfizer this year and our 3-year plan to become a separate company. As such, you have the opportunity to be a key driver of our success.
GSK CH are successful global brand, and as such have access to hundreds of data sets where your skills can make a difference. In marketing, customer understanding, new product development, supply chain and finance, we are looking for candidates who can use their knowledge and creativity to make a meaningful impact. The scale of the challenges you will face are global, and the solutions will be too.
Our organisation is undergoing agile transformation. We are looking for candidates who will drive a test and learn approach, and who can bring ideas from concept to production. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a team of highly skilled Data Scientists where you have the opportunity to solve really interesting problems using data science. You will be exploring cutting edge ML techniques to discover patterns and predictions to help solve customer needs.
You will help lead complex and diverse projects to leverage Data Science techniques which will result in measurable commercial benefit. You will also have the opportunity to help build a data science community, as we invest in academic partnerships, mentor and apprenticeship schemes. You will be seen as a leader in your specific academic discipline and your thought leadership will command attention in the wider data science community. GSK has long supported the development of it's employees and you will be supported to grow and progress in your career.
You will also be excited to champion our Data for Good agenda through sustainable projects and company supported pro-bono charity work. Data ethics are important to us and we are looking for candidates who feel the same way.
As a Data Scientist, you:
- Will be curious, enjoy problem solving and have empathy for the problems you are challenged with
- Will have experience as a data scientist in an industrial environment
- Demonstrable experience contributing to a data science project lifecycle.
- Can coordinate and manage competing priorities across a portfolio of projects
- Compile, integrate, and analyse data from multiple sources to answer business questions
- Have the ability to conceptualize, formulate, prototype and implement algorithms to capture customer behaviour and solve business problems.
- Experience communicating complex data science concept's to other business stakeholders.
- Practical experience developing and implementing machine learning on large data sets.
- Good knowledge in mining large & complex data sets using SQL, Hadoop, NoSQL or Spark.
- Have in depth understanding of statistical modelling techniques and the mathematical foundations of applied ML and AI algorithms and models
As a Data Scientist, you:
- Have a good working knowledge cloud based and local data science frameworks and toolkits.
- Are experienced in Agile methodologies and the hypothesis-driven approach
- Have a deep knowledge of a sufficiently broad area of technical specialism (e.g. Machine Learning, Optimisation, Applied Mathematics, Simulation, etc.), and are a valued and trusted expert
- Have a practical understanding of machine learning, Deep Learning and natural language understanding/processing or speech recognition
- Experience building large scale machine learning systems
- Experience with Cuda, pyTorch or TensorFlow.
People & Team Management
As a Data Scientist, you:
- Motivate, inspire, coach, mentor colleagues within the Data Science team to help them develop technical excellence.
- Have the ability to define clear objectives for individuals you may manage.
- Ensure there is proactive engagement in personal development of themselves and individuals they may manage support by a development plan.
- Carry out people routines for direct reports functional requirements
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class(US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top