Senior Automation/MES Engineer
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Nov 26 2019
Are you looking for senior automation/MES engineer role at the center of automation efforts at a state-of-the-art biopharm manufacturing facility? If so, this is the role for you.
As Senior Automation/MES Engineer you will perform the following tasks:
- Support the configuration, administration and maintenance activities of the site's manufacturing computer and automation systems, including process control systems (DeltaV and Allen Bradly PLC), building automation systems (Siemens Apogee), data historians (InfoPlus21), and future MES (Syncade).
- Design, configue, test, and maintain MES elements including electronic batch records, master data, system configuration, and interfaces.
- Develop and/or lead the evaluation, selection, and implementation of new equipment or modifications to existing systems with consideration to new processing technologies or strategies.This may include assessing an economic, environmental, quality, conservation, or productivity impact while generating engineering reports.
- Identify opportunities to improve existing processes, equipment, systems, and infrastructure by utilizing industry best practices.
- Directly support operations with troubleshooting and issue resolution with respect to computer and automation systems through collaboration with operations.
- Lead engineering projects to meet deliverables - technical, budget and schedule goals including managing the work of internal and external resources.
- Identify/develop project plans and budgets, and implement the approved modifications, following up to ensure the desired result has been achieved.Document plans and modifications in an appropriate manner. Utilize project management tools such as MS Project and internal tools and processes.
- Provide off-hours manufacturing support as part of an on-call rotation.
- Develop training plans for employees involved in the use or maintenance of equipment to ensure safe and reliable operation.
- Lead discussions and recommend solutions with key customer groups to gain a consensus on the repair or modification plans.
- Prepare or review operation, safety, and maintenance procedures to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Organize and perform life-cycle maintenance of process controls systems including:software backups, preventative maintenance plans (PMs), diagnostics, documentation (SOP/URS/FRS/SDDS), spare parts review, obsolescence planning.
- Capable of owning process systems as a subject matter expert to assist in regulatory audits and investigations.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
The Automation / MES Engineer is responsible for understanding the operation of process equipment, and the science behind the design of such equipment. It is important for the individual to have a background that will enable sound engineering decisions, and understand the impact of those decisions on the production process and business. We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Minimum Level - BS in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or other Technical Degree or AS Engineering with at least 10 years directly relevant technical experience.
- Proficient with the application and administration of many of the following manufacturing control systems including but not limited to Syncade MES, DeltaV, Allen Bradley PLC, VFD, HMI, building automation systems, servers, industrial communications / LAN, and data historians preferredCapable to quickly become proficient with ALL of the remaining above systems.
- Experience working in a regulated GMP environment, preferably in a biopharmaceutical industry.
- Prior project engineering experience.
- Must be able to interact well with peers and personnel in scientific, engineering, and operational disciplines.
- Ability to work as a member on cross-functional and self-directed work teams.
- Must be proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other MS Office suite applications.
- Evidence of leadership and initiative taking is strongly desired
- Industrial experience supporting a manufacturing site's control systems
- 6+ years of bio/pharmaceutical and/or GMP experience preferred
- Understanding of ERP configuration specifically in the Operations and Quality functional space is a plus.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- 6+ years of bio/pharmaceutical and/or GMP experience preferred
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top