Senior Automation Engineer
- Missoula, MT
Site Name: USA - Montana - Hamilton
Posted Date: May 16 2020
Are you energized by a highly visible engineering role that optimizes technology to drive efficiency in manufacturing? If so, this Senior Automation Engineer role could be an exciting opportunity to explore.
As a Senior Automation Engineer you will support site-wide automation systems and activities. The Senior Automation Engineer will develop, maintain, and troubleshoot industrial control systems for the site that includes manufacturing, packaging, utilities, labs, building control, and fire and security systems. The Senior Automation Engineer will be a key member of the project management teams for major projects ensuring GSK standards for automation technology are met, helping keep the projects on-time and on-budget, and participate as key team member in validation efforts for automation to ensure proper execution of testing with both site employees and contractors.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following...
- Function as an area specific technical expert for all questions and issues related to instrumentation and control systems. Be proficient in current automation technology and GSK standards, attend conferences, develop technical expertise, conduct onsite training, etc.
- Provide guidance in the design and installation of instrumentation and control systems, ensuring alignment with GSK standards and regulatory expectations.
- Develop and optimize operation and maintenance procedures and training programs for instrumentation and control systems.
- Support troubleshooting efforts with operators, electro-mechanical technicians, and process equipment engineers during times of equipment or control system malfunction. Assist with deviation investigations for areas of expertise; lead investigations when appropriate.
- Participate and assist in driving continuous improvement. Analyze repairs and maintenance requirements in order to proactively address system weaknesses to build reliability and robustness into the control systems.
- As a team member, work in cooperation with the Validation department to develop and execute validation documentation (IQ/OQ/PQ) for GMP instrumentation and control systems.
- Work with project managers to ensure that projects for scope, schedule, and cost are on track, as well as interface with users, peers, management, and global counterparts to ensure stakeholder requirements are understood and integrated into the project scope. Manage automation software vendors and consultants to ensure that contracts contain appropriate technical specifications and are delivered as required.
- Participate in departmental, corporate, and external regulatory audits and inspections.
- Work closely with EHS, Validation, Engineering, Maintenance, Automation, and Facilities to ensure proactive measures are being taken to ensure GMP and EHS compliance and continuous improvement.
- Function as a key contact regarding subjects for other sites and outside contacts, receive information, and distribute to appropriate members of the site. Participate in global procedures development and other global initiatives in area of expertise to provide key response from Hamilton, to ensure the site needs are being addressed, and improve the site's standing among the global organization.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's or higher degree in engineering
- Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Instrumentation and Controls Engineering preferred
- The individual is responsible for understanding complex automation and control systems within the facility. The standard curriculum for Electrical, Chemical and Mechanical Engineering includes courses on automation and controls.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Prior instrumentation/automation/control systems engineering experience for minimum of 3 to 5 years.
- Prior experience in the design, programming, start-up, or troubleshooting of industrial control systems, such as motion/servo controllers, variable frequency drives, PLCs, HMIs, SCADA, SQL databases and reports, industrial communication networks, process instrumentation, and up to 480V electrical control equipment.
- Prior experience performing system qualification, such as FAT/SAT, commissioning, and IQ/OQ validation in a cGMP regulated industry preferred.
- Excellent computer and computer networking skills.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top