Senior Analytical Automation Specialist
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - King of Prussia, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Oct 22 2019
As a world leading pharmaceutical healthcare company, GSK plays a fundamental role in helping people to do more, feel better and live longer. We are currently seeking an experienced Analytical Automation Specialist with a proven track record of driving innovation and technology development to lead the modernization within GSK's Analytical Platforms & Platform Modernization (APPM) team within Product Development & Supply (PDS) of Medicinal Science & Technology (MST). The successful individual will occupy a key position in the current organization and will be expected to work across boundaries and disciplines to realize the goals of APPM within R&D's Biopharm PDS (BPDS), PDS, and potentially with Pharma Supply Chain (PSC) colleagues. The successful candidate will be responsible for utilizing existing automation while exploring new and innovative automation technology solutions for implementation to increase efficiency for scientists in the labs. The successful individual will work to determine how to optimize and implement automated analytical workflows, and others, using Hamilton liquid handling robots and other commercially available robotics platforms. By collaborating closely with colleagues within MST, the successful individual will drive the support, training, development, and delivery of key analytical automation solutions with an eye on and next-generation technologies to drive efficiencies that significantly improve the workflows to ultimately benefit the patient.
The successful candidate's key responsibilities will be to:
- Work closely with analytical scientists in a GMP and non-GMP environment to develop and implement bio-assays using the Hamilton robotics platform.
- Provide rapid hands-on support, troubleshooting, and root cause analysis of errors of automation to maximize uptime and minimize human effort required across the analytical groups at Upper Providence (UP) and Upper Merion (UM) GSK facilities (Flexibility to travel between (UP & UM will be required))
- Evaluate and integrate new analytical technologies, when applicable, into workflows where there is a clear benefit to implementation
- Identify bottlenecks, and systematically evaluate and assess root causes of errors in the laboratory, discriminating between inefficiencies arising from human, software, hardware, firmware, and/or chemical sources.
- Be responsible for the technical support, transfer, implementation, and management of various automated analytical workflows.
- Develop a strong understanding of GSK business areas to identify opportunities to solve unmet needs
- Network independently across GSK to identify key users and stakeholders for identified projects
- To present and champion applications within a variety of settings to key stakeholders
- To produce a variety of key documentation, including project proposals, and articles suitable for publication
- Advanced degree in Analytical/Physical or Bio Chemistry, Biotechnology, Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent with 5+ years' experience working in a pharmaceutical, biopharm, or product development environment
- A proficient understanding, application, and troubleshooting of laboratory automation
- Broad knowledge of commercially available automation solutions and vendors
- Hands-on experience in designing and implementing automated laboratory workflows including instrument configuration, method programming, and integration of various peripherals from third party suppliers
- Strong people, organizational, and communication skills (both written and oral), with the ability to liaise with colleagues and collaborators at all levels
- Strong desire to learn and develop new skills
- Ability to work within a team environment, as well as independently, and within project timelines
- Basic understanding of GxP requirements
- Strong desire to learn and develop new skills and mentor colleagues
- Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and a pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Passionate personality and positive attitude
- Ability to travel between sites (Upper Providence and Upper Merion, ~15 miles one way)
- Experience designing, creating, and troubleshooting methods utilizing liquid handling automation equipment, such as Hamilton, Tecan, Unchained/Freeslate, and similar liquid handling robotics platforms
- A proficient understanding and application of programming concepts utilized in laboratory automation or various programming languages
- Experience in small and large molecule processes and methodologies
- Familiarity with programming a plus (e.g., VBA, C, C++, Java, Python, etc.,)"
- Seen as a subject matter expert, and is consistently called upon within the dept/other to utilize their breadth of knowledge
- Experienced in use of automation for preparation and analysis of samples and interrogation, processing, and review of analytical data
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams in a matrix environment
- Ability to work within project timelines and multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to configure integrated automated solutions using laboratory instrumentation and electronic systems (e.g. LIMS, Electronic Lab Notebook)
- Broad understanding of biopharmaceutical analytical and CMC activities is desirable
- Experience with evaluating and implementing new and novel technologies
Please use the cover letter to highlight how you meet the competencies for the role.Your cover letter along with your CV will be used to assess your application. Thanks for your interest in this opportunity.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk. Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution. Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning. Sustaining energy and well-being Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations. Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top