Site Name: UK - London - Brentford, USA - Massachusetts - Cambridge, USA - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence, USA - California - San Francisco
Posted Date: Aug 30 2021
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of machine learning and AI will allow us to develop novel therapies to existing diseases and to quickly respond to emerging or changing diseases with personalized drugs, driving better outcomes at reduced cost with fewer side effects. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products and solutions at the cutting edge of machine learning and AI. If that excites you, we'd love to chat.
The AIML Sequence Learning Team applies machine learning and AI methods to DNA and RNA sequence data from large-scale human genetic, functional genomic and single cell experiments. DNA sequence variations are linked to disease via changes in the nature and abundance of protein and RNA gene products. The Sequence Learning group builds models directly from DNA/RNA sequence in addition to other data sources such as chromatin state. Models that operate on a sequence level can infer changes in protein/RNA states and the associated cellular function from sequence alone. This is an exciting methodological advance at the intersection of NLP inspired language models applied to biological data.
We're looking for a Senior AI/ML Engineer to join our team. Competitive candidates will have in-depth knowledge of machine learning with a track record in developing deep learning models for solving challenging real world scientific problems. You should be inspired by the potential of applying machine learning to biology and the associated impact on human health.
This role will require you to work with scientists in related disciplines to translate biological/drug discovery challenges into well-defined machine learning problems. This will require you to execute and deliver a full AI/ML driven solution from sourcing training data, designing and implementing new machine learning models, testing, benchmarking and managing product driven research for model performance improvement, to shipping stable, tested, performant code and services in an agile environment.
Educational or professional background in the biological sciences is a plus. The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Graduate studies in Computer Science or Applied Math, undergraduate studies in Computer Science and relevant graduate studies in the life sciences with a focus on AI/ML techniques, or undergraduate studies in Computer Science and equivalent work history. Candidates with graduate studies in CS and biological sciences or equivalent work history will be highly competitive
- Experienced in developing deep learning models
- Experience as a scientist, machine learning engineer, and software engineer. Demonstrate expertise and depth in at least one area and breadth across your expertise
- Experience with standard deep learning algorithms and model architectures. Familiarity with current deep learning literature and mathematical basis of machine learning
- Experienced in machine learning best practices, scalable training and deployment, model introspection and evaluation
- Experienced in PyTorch, TensorFlow, or other deep learning frameworks
- Experienced in software engineering with advanced skills in python and/or C++
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD in Machine Learning
- At least one peer reviewed publication
- Knowledge in disease biology, molecular biology and biochemistry
- Experience with biological data (e.g., genomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, proteomics)
- Peer reviewed publications in major AI conferences
- Experience in design, development and deployment of commercial AI/ML software
- Track record of contributing to open source projects
- Mentality of commit early and often, metrics before models, and shipping high quality production code
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.