Scientist (RNA BioProcess and manufacturing) - SAM Development Unit
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Feb 12 2021
Are you energized by a challenging role in biology, where scientific demand is driving team growth? If so, this Scientist role would be a great opportunity to consider.
The Early Development and SAM Center of Excellence, Technical Research & Development, GSK Vaccines is looking, for a motivated molecular biology Scientist with a strong RNA bioprocess and manufacturing experience to contribute to the success of the GSK RNA vaccine platform.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Be part of a team of talented professionals that develops our RNA vaccine Drug Substance candidates, and support platform technology development in a highly competitive landscape.
- Drive the set-up of scalable and robust RNA biomanufacturing platform that is highly competitive in terms of speed, cost and quality
- Drive design, development and transfer of scalable biomanufacturing processes for RNA vaccine candidates from clinical development up to commercial launch in close collaboration with the clinical and commercial manufacturing organizations
- Deep understanding of nucleic acids (RNA/DNA) to support process development of RNA vaccine candidates
- Develop new innovative technologies and approaches to fit current and future manufacturing needs
- Work both independently and as a member of cross-functional teams of CMC scientists
- Independently carry out and document experiments
- Clearly communicate to and engage internal stakeholders
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Degree in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering or a related scientific field.
- MS with 3+ years of experience or PhD with 2+ years of experience.
- Experience with RNA in vitro transcription and capping techniques.
- Experience with cGMP requirements, regulation and production.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Knowledge of the 360° aspects of biomanufacturing for (bio)-pharmaceutical applications
- Knowledge of process development and biomanufacturing technologies and trends in the field
- Proven track record in bioprocess development for the biomanufacturing of nucleic acids, preferably RNA
- Experience and understanding in nucleic acid analytical technologies.
- Working experience with gene therapies or specifically mRNA-based vaccines or therapeutics.
- Ability to efficiently work in a fast paced and fluid environment, changes in priority and timeline restrictions
- Broad understanding of overall process development and analytical development activities required for CMC support.
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality by Design, as applied to biologics from an early stage, would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Optimistic personality and can do mindset
- Team player in a cross-functional collaborative environment: effectively partner with diverse team members from various functions, multiple countries and members at various levels in organization
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top