Scientist (Nucleic Acid Research) - SAM Development Unit
- Rockville, MD
Site Name: USA - Maryland - Rockville
Posted Date: Jul 27 2020
Are you energized by a challenging role in biology, where scientific demand is driving team growth? If so, this Scientist role would be a great opportunity to consider.
The Early Development and SAM Center of Excellence, Technical Research & Development, GSK Vaccines is looking, for a motivated molecular biology Scientist with a strong understanding and experience in nucleic acid research to contribute to the success of the GSK RNA vaccine platofrm.
Working in a highly collaborative environment, the successful candidate will:
- Be a key member of a team of talented professionals to design and characterize vaccine candidates, and support platform technology development in a highly competitive landscape.
- Apply deep knowledge in nucleic acid research to improve process development of RNA vaccine platforms.
- Work both independently and as a member of cross-functional teams of CMC scientists on high impact and visibility vaccine programs to develop RNA and DNA production strategies that meets project timeline and quality requirement.
- Research literature databases, evaluate novel technologies, and design technical studies to meet RNA vaccine platform development needs. Support licensing activities.
- Independently carry out and document experiments, interpret data, and maintain good scientific process.
- Prepare oral and written reports to communicate scientific findings and to support project documentation and CMC submissions
Why you? Basic Qualifications: We are looking for a professional with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, or a related scientific field.
- BSc with 5+ years of experience or MS with 3+ years of experience or PhD with 1+ years of experience.
- Experience in research and development, preferably including vaccines research in an industrial, academic or government laboratory setting
- Have strong track record in nucleic acid research (publications and/or regulatory/patent filings).
- Have hands-on and in-depth understanding in nucleic acid synthesis, optimization and quality control.
- Have a thorough understanding in nucleic acid sequencing and next-generation sequencing.
- Work independentely or with minimal supervision.
- Be able to rapidly acquire project understanding and apply professional knowledge to project improvement.
- Must be detail oriented; possess problem solving skills, and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Must possess good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be a team player in a cross-functional collaborative environment: effectively partner with diverse team members from various functions, multiple countries and members at various levels in organization
- Be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Familiar with large-scale DNA synthesis ex vivo with molecular biology tools.
- Hands-on experience with RNA in vitro transcription and capping techniques.
- Hands-on experience with nucleic acid sequencing.
- Familiar with plasmid design and optimization.
- Experience and understanding in nucleic acid analytical technologies.
- Working experience with gene therapies or specifically mRNA-based vaccines or therapeutics.
- Ability to efficiently manage uncertainty, changes in priority and timeline restrictions
- Broad understanding of overall process development and analytical development activities required for CMC support.
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality by Design, as applied to biologics from an early stage, would be an advantage.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top