Scientific Manager - Immunology
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Jun 5 2020
GSK is seeking a highly motivated Scientific Manager with an established track record in drug discovery to join our growing Medicine Opportunity team focused on Infectious Diseases in Collegeville, PA. This is a position in which the individual will be leading a team of scientists through the design and execution of ex vivo and in vivo experiments internally and/or through external research collaborators, e.g. CRO.
As a Scientific Leader in the Medicine Opportunity Research Unit (MORU), you will characterize HBV specific immune responses, deliver a preclinical data package for validating immunomodulator(s) for cure of chronic hepatitis B infection, and lead efforts on target discovery and validation. The selected candidate will be expected to be a leader supporting the development of the scientists on their team.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following :
- Lead a team of scientists to define, design, and perform experiments using in vitro, in vivo, and ex vivo preclinical models to evaluate immunomulators to treat Chronic Hepatitis B patients (CHB).
- Provide scientific insights on immunological aspects associated with CHB and other viral-induced pathways to support GSK's drug discovery portfolio.
- As a technical expert in immunology, maintain knowledge of relevant literature, and effective incorporation of the knowledge and technology to positively impact the project.
- Develop methods utilizing immune cell types (e.g. B and T cells) for examining the association of inflammation and viral disease.
- Clear communication of study results and impact in written form and at internal and external meetings.
- Effectively resolve scientific and technical challenges using knowledge and subject matter expertise/experience to enable program progression
Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. and postdoctoral research in adaptive immunity within infectious diseases.
- 8-10 years working experience in adaptive immunity/ chronic infectious diseases
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics it would be a plus:
- Experience preferred in an industrial or biotech setting.
- Demonstrated capability to work in matrix teams.
- Ability to manage and develop a group of scientists to foster a culture of innovation, teamwork, performance and trust
- A broad and integrated knowledge of B/T cell immunological functions and preferred experience in tissue resident immunity (especially in the liver).
- Prior experience establishing/utilizing in ex vivo and in vivo models
- Excellent track record of scientific publication.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top