Scientific Leader, Next Generation Histology
- Collegeville, PA
Site Name: USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Sep 14 2020
A new position has become available within our Non-Clinical Histology group at GSK, based from our R&D site at Collegeville, PA.
The role provides provide deep scientific expertise in histology to the business, working with GSK scientists to deliver new methods and assessments to address novel biological challenges in Discovery and Development.
This requires a maintenance of leading-edge expertise and knowledge of new assays and approaches for advanced, multiplexed histological evaluation, from external work (e.g. vendors, academic groups) to their own bespoke work for project endpoints, including development and implementation of Tissue Cross Reactivity assays with CRO partners.
Histology at GSK At our world class scientific hubs at Stevenage, UK and Philadelphia, USA, our Histology department operates as an integral part of the global Bioimaging platform delivering critical data for decision making steps in Discovery programs and Development projects. Recent integration of Histology into Bioimaging has resulted in a need for a subject matter expert in Histology with a passion for science, multi-discipline integration, and application of their skill sets to addressing human disease. At GSK we believe that the fewer barriers there are in delivering the science, then the better our delivery of new medicines to patients. As part of the wider In vitro/In Vivo Translation platform we encourage enterprise collaboration as well as external partnership with the wider scientific community to achieve our full potential.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Successfully develop and implement novel multiplex molecular and immunological assays for application to slide-based tissues samples to address complex biological challenges across the GSK portfolio
- Build and embed in the non-clinical histology teams, novel molecular histology capabilities identified from external sources, through training and development, to support the nature and complexity of current and future Drug Discovery needs.
- Transition to the wider non-clinical histology teams, novel techniques to advance IHC/IF & ISH in frozen and formalin fixed paraffin embedded human and animal tissues as part of antibody/ISH probe optimization & validation.
- Oversee all aspects of an out-sourced (CRO) work package in support of discovery projects including study monitoring of Tissue Cross Reactivity (TCR) studies.
- Work collaboratively with Discovery pathologists to identify project needs and develop tissue-based experiments to address project questions by agreed timelines.
- Embed and grow the use of digital histology image collection of slides and image analysis algorithms using commercially available platforms.
- Work in partnership with Imaging Analytics teams to deliver novel Image analysis approaches to address project challenges.
- Work in partnership with project teams to understand project issues, provide input and report data to matrix teams, including close networking with all imaging groups across GSK.
- Maintain timely communication to named key study personnel, other key stakeholders and Management, of study related events and/or deviations
- Collaborate with the wider Bioimaging teams to establish an external expertise network to deliver early access to state-of-the-art approaches to histological assessment and opportunities to engage leading thought leaders in histotechnology.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Basic Qualifications: We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Immunology, cellular biology, histology, molecular biology or related field
- 5 years of post-PhD experience.
- Experience with histotechnology platforms and ability to apply their experience to key drug development areas including target discovery, lead optimization, efficacy, human tissue target validation and biomarker development, toxicology and complex in vitro models
Preferred Qualifications: If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong scientific leadership and deep scientific knowledge with an ability to work routinely across boundaries and establish cross functional matrix groups.
- Experience of Tissue Cross Reactivity (TCR) studies.
- Demonstrated ability to coach/mentor, train and develop others.
- Experience in using software applications in image analysis, genomic analysis, data analysis/visualization and data interpretation
- Experience of sequencing methodology
- Established track record of delivering complex technical and scientific activities and in developing and motivating colleagues/collaborators.
- Established external profile and key opinion leadership, including strong publication track record. Existing network of expert histotechnology leaders throughout academia, industry or government entities
Why GSK? Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Back to top